Adeleina shook off his hand, whipping her wrist out of his grasp.

"I have to go find someone," she said curtly as she stalked off, the hem of her dress whipping around her ankles as she strode as fast as she could without running. Didn't he see how urgent this was? Didn't he understand? Alecsander could have left the village by now; didn't he realize how quickly Adeleina needed to confront him? A nasty sibilant voice at the back of her head hissed at her about how irrational and rude she was being, but this was no time for pleasantries and flirts. She had to leave now. She needed answers. Immediately.

Damien caught up with her, and did not try to stop her from briskly walking away. Instead, he matched her swift pace, his long legs easily keeping up with her quick steps. 

"Alecsander?" he asked. It wasn't an affirmative statement; something in his tone was apprehensive. Adeleina pursed her lips, though she wasn't surprised he'd guessed.

"Yes."

Damien didn't seem very surprised at her response either. On the contrary, he look even angrier.

"He's here?"

"Well, obviously," Adeleina said. A twinge of regret panged at her chest when she realized how snobbish and cold she was behaving as Damien's mouth turned down in a tight-lipped frown. "I mean, I think so. I...met someone, a prince, he said, named Alecsander," she continued less roughly, trying to amend her formerly icy tone.

"What in hells is he doing here?" Damien asked, his forehead wrinkled.

"I don't know. If it really is Seva attacking us, he could be spying for his father," Adeleina suggested. Damien shook his head thoughtfully. 

"No, that wouldn't make much sense," he said. "Why would they send their prince when an ordinary man posing as a commoner would do a better job?"

Adeleina had no answer to that, and the two walked out of the castle courtyard in ponderous silence.

"I've got it," Damien suddenly announced as he pushed open an iron gate. "He's here with an army, and they're preparing for attack."

Adeleina sent Damien a nonplussed look. 

"What?" She laughed disbelievingly. "That's a ridiculous notion. Where would he hide an army? Don't you think our people would have noticed a thousand mercenaries trampling towards the castle?"

"They could be in the woods by the castle," Damien said darkly. Adeleina thought for a while before scoffing away the idea.

"No, the hunters living there would know, and surely someone would have seen them marching there," she said.

"Not if they were all killed," Damien pointed out mildly. Adeleina swatted his arm lightly.

"Don't be such a cynic," she chided as she nodded to the stableboy, then entered the dusty stables. She was surprised to see Damien unhook his own reins and saddle from the wall as she bridled Damascus.

"What are you doing?" she asked. Damien paused, confused.

"Coming with you?"

Adeleina raised her eyebrows, though a smile found its way into her lips.

"You don't have to."

"I'd rather. You never know, Prince Alecsander could be an axe murderer, waiting to lure you and trap you."

"How kind of you to supervise me."

"I'm a rather kind person in general."

"Hmm."