Chapter 2

Her vision blurred with hot, angry tears, Adeleina rushed through the castle corridors until she emerged outside near the stables. She took a deep breath, inhaling the earthen smell of dirt and the sweet smell of clean hay. A ride would calm her down better than anything else.

Adeleina pushed the stable door open. Inside the stable, shafts of sunlight beamed in. Dust motes danced, spotlighted by the rays of light. Horses nickered and snorted as she walked past them. She reached the last stable, where a majestic snow-white steed stood, flicking his ears and tail as he watched her approach. She raised a hand to his whiskered muzzle, stroking his velvety-soft nose as a greeting.

Other princesses preferred to ride mares, for their tame qualities and gentleness. But Adeleina had always known that a lively steed was a better match for her robust and spirited personality.

"Hello, Damascus," she whispered as the stallion butted his head against her, impatiently demanding to be let out. Damascus, an exotic grey steel, was an ironic name for a white horse, but Adeleina loved it. She obliged, fitting the bridle and attaching the reins before swinging his stall open.

The steed, eager to be out on the open, plowed towards the open stable door. Adeleina barely held on as he towed her outside. She gave a forceful tug at the reins, and the spirited horse reluctantly stopped to let her scrambled forward and swing herself onto his back. Then, with a firm tap of Adeleina's heels, the steed burst into a gallop.

Adeleina, having left behind the cold stone walls of the castle and the burden of her upcoming betrothal, felt free. The wind rushed through her hair, whipping it's light fingers through her hair and flying down her lungs in cold, fresh breaths. Damascus, too, seemed glad to be free of the confines of his stall. He snorted happily as he galloped, white tail streaming behind him like a banner. Adeleina laughed with delight and sheer pleasure. She felt like she was riding the wind.

As they entered the forest, not once did Damascus slow his dash. He nimbly leapt over the overgrown roots and crashed through the delicate waving ferns. Adeleina watched the forest ground, dappled with sunlight, rush by. Squirrels, rabbits, and even a warthog darted out of their way.

She almost didn't notice the crashing and snarling sound. Damascus had already heard it, and was attempting to dash away with his ears pinned back and teeth snapping. Adeleina jerked his reins sharply, and he shuddered to a halt.

Suddenly flooded with trepidation, Adeleina strained her ears to listen again. A strange silence had fallen around them. Even the singing birds had fled. She dared not flee with them, in case of provoking the chase of whatever had made the sound. Perhaps if she stayed still, it would leave on it's own.

Adeleina heard the unearthly snarling sound again. The strained roar of some great beast rang through the forest. Damascus, suddenly skittish, attempted to bolt. Adeleina tugged at his reins, silencing him and keeping him where he was. Evidently, he knew what kind of terrible creature was making such a racket.

From the undergrowth behind them came the sound of branches snapping and leaves scraping. Damascus turned around, his eyes rolling in fear and body rigid.

Adeleina screamed..

In front of them, looming like a massive boulder, was a grizzly bear. It's coat was matted and clumped in a dried brown substance: whether it was blood or dirt, Adeleina did not want to be close enough to find out. She had heard the gruesome tales of men who had died of bear wounds. They had returned from a hunting trip, chased then caught and mauled by wickedly long claws and fearsome teeth that resembled an array of small and sharp daggers. By the time they had returned, it was too late for them. It was not a death Adeleina wanted to fall to.