34- Home Sweet Home

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, I'll gladly take you." He smiled.

Caroline told Madeleine and her dad where she was going and that she wasn't sure when she'd come back. The 30 minute ride to the house seemed to last forever, until suddenly she was standing at the front door with the keys in her hands. A year was a long time to be away from something you held dear to your heart.

Caroline slowly walked into the house, slipping off her shoes at the door. The house felt scared now that no one was living in it. It felt empty and lonely, nothing like she had left it. She made her way to the basement and turned the light on. A thick layer of dust covered the plastic tarp covering everything. She jerked it off and smiled. All the equipment her mother had got her so she could practice her musical hobby was still set up as she had left it.

She sat down and turned on the keyboard, playing a few random tunes before she felt someone sit beside her. She looked up and saw her uncle smiling down at her.

"What?" She asked, just above a whisper.

"She'd be proud of you coming down here again. She always used to tell people "my daughters song are going to be all over the radio one day" and she'd have this giant smile on her face when she'd talk about you." Her uncle said, smiling as he did an impression of her mother.

"I guess I let her down, huh? Nursing was something I didn't even consider until she died." Caroline stated.

"You never let her down. Yeah, she was upset when you stopped coming down here and making music, but you never let her down." He said, shaking his head.

"Two weeks I sat down and wrote a whole song." Caroline said, suddenly. "I could feel her every step of the way, guiding me as what to do next. At 7am that morning I was apply to UCLA for music business."

"Change of majors?" He asked.

"When I was in my own little zone writing music and making the beats... I don't know... I felt free for once." Caroline sighed, slumping her shoulders.

"I'm all for having a bad ass DJ niece. Do what your heart tells you to do." He smiled down at her.

"Would she want me throwing away two and a half years of school just to start over?" She asked, leaning her head on his arm.

"I think your mom would want you to do whatever made you happy. Clearly music making makes you happy, Care." He answered.

"Thanks, Uncle Luke." She said, giving him a side hug.

Caroline wasn't sure what laid ahead, but she knew she was making the right decision. She felt it in her heart that she was doing what she was meant to do all along.

••••

Double update just bc I'm happy rn

Here's Uncle Luke 😂

and Brandon