"You are right, of course." He pulled away and turned, moving toward the door. "I have a gift for you, once the ceremony is done. See me before you run off."

"Of course, Father," she said, bowing. When he left, she turned back to the women. "Well, let us finish with my hair." She retook her seat and let her gaze again settle on the window.

The bright city beyond was decorated for the occasion. Colorful ornaments were set up throughout the streets as far as she could see from her position. The ceremony was one long-awaited and joyously anticipated by the townsfolk.

Elery paid no mind to what the handmaidens did to her hair. Her mind was occupied with other things, none of which she could easily pin down to make the focus of her thoughts. Rather than try she let them flutter past until finally the young women urged her to stand for one final look in the mirror.

"You look lovely," one breathed.

"Truly a marvel," the other chimed in.

She offered a slight smile. "You've done a lovely job. I thank you for all the time and effort you've put into this."

They each looped their arms with hers and began to walk, escorting her from the room past brilliant white pillars and pedestals holding ornate vases full of cut flowers. She knew her way but stood on tradition, allowing the young servants to lead the way through the castle and out toward the grand ritual site at the rear of the castle.

An altar stood in the middle of a massive white stone circle, shimmering in the sunlight. It was composed of crystal that refracted light into a brilliant rainbow that colored the stone and the thousands of people who'd come to witness the ceremony. Elery stood at her end of the altar with her hands clasped in front of her.

Dallyn stood at the opposite end, trying to ignore the dark red hair that fell over his forehead in defiance of the fixing spray that held most of it back. He shrugged a shoulder and gave her a half smile.

She returned the smile and her heart squeezed tight.

The altar began to glow and water welled in the curved top until it spilled over the edge. Rather than fall to the ground, it lifted and spun, forming a serpentine creature that arced and curled through the air with no regard for gravity. The water changed to glimmering gold as the creature manifested. Delicate, gauzy wings fanned out from its head and tail, and blue eyes gleamed like gems on its smooth face.

"Seryn children." The creature spoke though it had no mouth. Hearing it speak was much like sitting beside the stream and listening to the water rush over the rocks. "I am the Aldramel, bond-former and bond-keeper. Speak, and show yourselves ready."

"Sacred Aldramel," Dallyn spoke as he took a knee. "We stand here before you to ask your boon. I pledge my life and loyalty to Elery. I wish to feel her pain and sorrow. I wish to know her hopes and fears. I desire that our minds become one, in harmony, until the end of our days."

Aldramel flapped both sets of wings, though it seemed they did nothing to actually keep it afloat. It didn't bob and weave as other winged creatures did. It remained stationary, dripping gold from his long body that splashed on the rock and reverted back to water. "And you, Princess Elery?"

She knelt as well. "I pledge my life and loyalty to Dallyn. I wish to feel his pain and sorrow. To know his hopes and fears. I desire that our minds become one, in harmony, until the end of our days."

"Take to your feet," Aldramel said. "Touch your palms together and raise your hands."

The two obeyed and Aldramel flew forward, coiling its body first round Elery's wrist, then Dallyn's. Its body, though composed of water, felt solid, and warm like sunbeams. Far beyond what she'd expected. It began to slowly wind around their hands as the crowd looked on.