Chapter 6

*Cat's POV*

"What do you think she's going to do if we don't get there on time?" Tori sounded nervous as we followed Jade to Nozu. I didn't want to answer. The thought was too scary, even if she had changed. I stayed silent. "Cat. You're scaring me now. I can handle it. Cat!" I gave in.

"If Jade's history is anything to go by, it won't be pretty." There was silence in the car. "Oh crap." I sighed. "I warned you. I told you you wouldn't want to know. I-" Tori interrupted me. "That wasn't what I was saying. What I was saying is that we're too late. Jade's car is here and it's empty." I looked out of the window on her side and through Jade's. It was empty. We got out of the car and hurried to the doors and went in to see Jade glaring daggers at a shocked Anna. All I could think was that at least she was glaring them, not throwing them.

*Jade's POV*

"I will ask you again. What is going on?" I stood with my hands on my hips waiting for her reply. I didn't bother asking Beck. He might as well be invisible, I'm not going to talk to him.

"And I will tell you again. We're doing homework. I swear." For the first time I spotted the notebook covered with Anna's writing. It was set out like a script. Maybe they really were doing homework and I should trust them. "Fine. I guess I believe you." Beck's jaw dropped. "Wow. You actually forgave her. Within a year. Without a fight. You really have changed." I still ignored him and kept my eyes on Anna. Of course I'd changed. If I hadn't I wouldn't be stood here in a white tank top, a batman print skater skirt that Cat and Tori convinced me to buy, black vans and my 'fearless' dog tag. I'd be dressed in black from head to toe.

"Fine then, I believe you. Why don't you let me help you? I enjoy script writing and I like to think I'm pretty good." I reached for the notepad. "No!" Anna shouted and put her hands up. Her reaction shocked me and I jumped back half a step. "I mean... We're nearly finished, but thanks." I gave her a suspicious look but decided to let it go. Cat tiptoed over, closely followed by Tori. They probably thought I was about to explode and are shocked by the turn of events. "It's ok, I'm not going to go crazy." They both visibly relaxed and then Cat clapped her hands. "If everything is fine now, can we go shopping? We were supposed to go ages ago." We all laughed at her and left, leaving Beck sat alone.

*Anna's POV*

"Come on guys! We've been in here for ages." Tori and Cat were trying on outfits, but Jade and I hadn't found anything we liked and were waiting outside. You could literally feel the awkward.

"So, if you and Beck were only doing homework, why did you lie and say you were getting your purse?" Crap. I was hoping she'd forgotten about that. "Uh... I... Um... Er well it wasn't exactly a joint project... He was asking me for help with it, but he was embarrassed. I would have told you but I didn't know how you'd feel about me helping him." I hoped she couldn't tell how nervous I was. Hoping never works. Jade's like a bloodhound when it comes to this stuff.

She frowned and opened her mouth, but then the curtains to both changing rooms opened and Tori and Cat stepped out. They kind of just saved my ass. Jade and I both turned and gave them bright smiles. Fake ones of course.

*Tori's POV*

The tension was crazy. Jade and Anna were smiling so widely. Anna's could probably be believable if she didn't keep glancing at Jade. Jade on the other hand looked slightly deranged. I stopped smiling and looked at Cat, who was oblivious to everything and was playing with part of her dress.

They stopped smiling like maniacs, and Jade went back to her calm self, but Anna looked all flustered. When Cat went over to Jade and started to show off about her dress, which distracted her. When she wasn't looking I silently asked Anna if she was ok. She gave a small nod and started admiring my outfit.

*Jade's POV*

I really want to trust Anna, but I don't think I can. I've missed her so much, and now when I do see her, Hollywood Arts drama gets in the way and pushes us apart. I couldn't stop thinking about how stressed Anna looked when I asked her why she lied. I'd been thinking it over for a while, but obviously I didn't look like I was having enough fun because Cat grabbed me and shoved a huge pile of clothes in my arms and yelled "Let's do this!" She punched the air and we all laughed and ran to a changing room each, coming out in a different outfit each time, laughing our heads off. (This is just a typical shopping montage like in Aquamarine or Wild Child).

After about two hours of that we paid for what we wanted and headed back to mine. I may or may not have spent $250... Normally I wouldn't spend so much, but with the whole makeover thing I was seriously lacking in clothes.

******

"The Breakfast Club!"

"No! Wild Child!"

"Mean girls!"

While they were fighting over what film to watch, I quietly left the living room. I went to my room where everyone was keeping their stuff. I caught sight of Anna's bag and pulled it towards me. I unzipped it and spotted the black notebook covered in little colourful hearts. I set it on my lap and put my hand under the cover, ready to open it and see what was really going on, but I couldn't do it. For the first time in my life I decided to just trust Anna and try to forget about it.

Before anyone could notice I was gone I put the notepad back, zipped up the bag and headed downstairs to hear the opening of Wild Child. Cat won that fight then. I sat down next to Cat and she rested her head on my shoulder while I put my arm around her. Tori was sat next to Cat. She glanced at us and then glued her eyes to her lap and started fiddling with her fingers. I gently poked her in the arm. She looked up and I squeezed her shoulder and gave her a small smile. Tori returned it and looked back at the screen. I put my arm back around Cat's shoulders and settled down to watch the film.

It was nice to be able to do this in front of people. To be able to cuddle up with Cat and not worry about my image. To smile without people thinking I've done something evil. To actually be nice to Tori, and to make friends. Not just people who stayed with me because they were scared, but real friends, who weren't going to rush off and leave me when I needed them. People who I could be open with, and not have to worry how pathetic I sound. I liked it, and I knew I would do anything to keep it that way.