"Who..." she started, then hesitated, her eyes doubtful. Turning around, she met his brown eyes, seeking reassurance. He raised a brow. Jhana pointed at the picture framed on his desk. "Who is she?"

Drew followed her hand, a glint of recognition in his eye. A woman, smiling next to a familiar figure. She was dressed in a camouflage jacket, slung over a cream shirt. "General Magnus. I'm guessing that's Leo's. That's his bed over there."

He jerked his thumb at the other mattress she hadn't noticed at her earlier observation. Perusing the room for a second inspection, she took it all in. Not much to see-what with the fraying walls, the floorboards that showed signs of rot, and the barest hint of yew that stung the air.

Still, Jhana's eyes abruptly returned to the photograph, memorizing the face there. The killer smile of a woman-with her curls and iridescent eyes-bordered the picture, her hair pitch black, like a starless night. Jhana had to restrain herself from tampering with her own hair, wanting more than ever to stop seeing dark strands.

Maybe this was a bad form to assume after all, she thought glumly. At least it works.

The only fairly interesting thing about the room they currently occupied was the fact that it had been remodeled to be some sort of 'office'. A substitute for headquarters.

Jhana ran a hand through her long dark hair, fingers tangling in its waves. She tugged at them, straightening them to look more presentable.

Suddenly unimaginably lonely, she glanced back to the Major, who just sat there, watching her.

A glance that turned to a condescending stare at the sight of the full pack next to him. Apart from the portrait, the room was unmistakably bare, a spare bag on the other bunk, already filled in.

You said you needed help packing, she mused, looking at him, her head tilted.

"Looks like I missed one," he smiled, and Jhana felt a jolt of shock course through her. Immediately, her eyes seized on the bracelet on his wrist. Once limp, now humming with energy.

Both pairs of eyes met.

"Interesting," she murmured softly. "Very, very interesting."

And there it was - the abject regret that flitted across his face. Grimly, she suppressed her smile.

Consciously, Jhana massaged her wrist, feeling her heartbeat for the span of one lasting second as her finger passed over oneq particular spot.

Magic was energy - that was common knowledge. All of it had to be directed to one particular activity in order for it to function.

One, not two.

Reveal her mindset, or her appearance?

Their eyes, which had locked into a brief staring contest, now withdrew, her own breaking it up first, angling down at her cloak.

One didn't need magic for something that only required use of mental capacity.

They were about to learn just how many secrets she could keep.

Drew took a breath. "I have to admit, you're a pretty good liar. Took me almost an hour to sort through your lies."

Jhana let out a long-suffering sigh, her eyes closing briefly. Apparently, she hadn't gotten rid of that stupid tell.

And here I was, thinking I had you fooled, she thought, with every intent to let him hear - just as she formed a plan her mind wouldn't let show.

Drew cocked his head. Quirking his brow, a lazy smile formed on his lips.

"The best liars look innocent." He shrugged, "Guess you nailed that part."

Pushing himself up to his full height, and sizing her up, he added, "On second thought, maybe you didn't."

Rolling her eyes, Jhana scoffed under her breath, marching over to the medallion spooled in a pile next to the portrait of Miss Magnus.

Snatching the metallic chain by its lock, she turned, waving it in the major's face.

"I'm keeping this."

In retrospect, she cringed internally as each word slipped her tongue, yet the knowledge of what he knew made her feel...

Brash.

"Guess it's easier doing things when you're someone else, huh?" Drew murmured, taking Jhana's hand in his. She watched, openmouthed, as he closed her fingers around the necklace. "Go on then, keep it."

Staring at the sign of trust in her hand, her eyes flicked up to his.

"What's going on?" she asked, brows bunching together.

First the dagger, now this. Did these people have a habit of giving away evidence?

"It's yours," Drew said, canting his head once more. "On the other hand, if you don't want it, I can always..."

At this, her eyes narrowed.

Right. Trust. All for trust.

"You said you needed help?" she replied, cutting off the open-ended silence.

"I did."

"So-"

"I said I needed help packing," Drew stated, reaching over to grasp the portrait by its frame. Tucking it into Leo's bag, he stood. "I'm done."

She blinked up at him. Opened and closed her eyes in a silent rhythm.

Then she turned on her heel and exited into the main room, Drew's laughter following her out.

आप प्रकाशित भागों के अंत तक पहुँच चुके हैं।

⏰ पिछला अद्यतन: Apr 27, 2019 ⏰

नए भागों की सूचना पाने के लिए इस कहानी को अपनी लाइब्रेरी में जोड़ें!

Dancing In The Ashesजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें