Chapter Four

Chapter Four | Challenge
- - -

"Stop it," the princess hissed, turning her mount to glare at her comrades. "You're leaving a trail for them to follow. Do you want to get caught?"

Immediately, the blonde-haired crown prince stopped throwing crumbs of bread around him, his face grave. The birds that had gathered around him squawked indignantly, flapping their wings furiously to keep afloat.

"You know I don't."

"Then start acting like a prince, not a child."

"Well, technically-"

"Hey, stop bickering for a second," a second prince interrupted. There were bags under his eyes, his face crumpled with exhaustion. His black hair-albeit ruffled with all the times he'd run his hand through it-that might once have complemented his amber eyes and lightly tanned complexion, was now dull and lifeless. Less like a starless night and more of an endless void. Sensing the tired tone he used, both quieted, waiting for him to continue.

The third monarch wordlessly strode past them, spurring on his horse to guide him where he needed to be. Closed his eyes and tried to envision a path. Each bump and rustle scattering his thoughts as frustration started to envelop his mindscape.

"We'll find her," the first prince murmured lowly, pulling at the reins to come alongside him. "I know we will."

"That's a bold assumption to make. What makes you so sure we won't be chasing after a corpse?" the princess pointed out, riding alongside them. "She could be dead, for all we know."

"Let's hope she isn't," the black-haired prince said, rubbing at his forehead. Gods, he needed to sleep. Another day like this and he'd drop.

But the fact that they haven't seen a single trace worried him to no end, hollowing out and tightening his chest in a dual symphony.

"It's not like I want her to be dead, but we have to consider the fact that-"

"Please, I don't want to think about this right now." He sighed, rubbing at his forehead.

"That's the second time you've cut me off! I don't know about you, but it really seems like you're signing your death warrant," she ranted, sending him a glare.

He gave a small smile. "Sorry, Nat."

The princess stayed silent for a second, watching the scenery go by. Then she stated softly, barely audible in the breeze, "You really like her, don't you? That's why you don't want to marry the Surian princess."

"Yes," he answered honestly. The princess turned straight ahead with a content smile on her lips.

A moment later, the blonde prince pulled up beside him. "She'll make a great queen."

"I think so too," was his only reply.

~

"One of the best techniques in combat is to use your opponent's strength against them. To rile them up, make them push in with all their might, then make that their downfall. Now, I'd like you to get your partners and..."

Leo paused in his lecture, his gaze pinned on the figure at the back of the class. One dressed in a dark red hooded cloak, sitting patiently behind all the rest. Rosy lips curved in a mocking smirk.

Curious, the younger children's eyes roamed, finding the woman. Their interests sparked, causing some other older members to glance behind them too.

"Excuse me for a moment," he said calmly, gesturing for Major Saunders to take the lead as he stalked over to her, pulling her up and along, past the door.