Chapter Two

Chapter Two | Watchful Eyes
- - -

Dawn was approaching when scouts came back to Leo with news.

They'd just arrived from the keep, breathless and panting. The youngest, a boy barely older than ten, reported that the woman was heading to her chambers, merging into the shadows as she went. A handful of scouts were observing her movements, yet halted at the front door as she slipped inside.

Leo tapped the arm of his chair curiously. His magic crept down his arm, curling around his hand. He let it, trying to dull its edge.

Extending his thanks, he bid them to rest for a moment, and let the adults take over.

As they took their leave, Leo just stared at the map laid out in front of him. A map of their world-of Erythra. Searching. For what, he had yet to discover.

He pointed his hand at a river right beside the warrior kingdom, trailing his finger down, down, to Myriad Creek. The border between the Marshes and the Kingdoms. Then he switched targets, landing his pointer finger on their location. Currently, they were residing on hidden territory in the East, just within arms' reach of the Eastern Kingdom's boundaries, with the royals none the wiser.

Deveas. The land of the wise.

More like the land of lies, he thought, teeth gritted.

He circled the kingdom, and proceeded to shift his attentions. Tracing another river upstream, he followed it to its bank, outlining the Northern kingdom-Cartel.

"For a diplomatic kingdom, they sure don't live up to their name." A feminine voice mused behind him. Leo didn't need to glance back, knowing that voice in a heartbeat.

"Thalia," he greeted, gesturing to the seat beside him. "Please, sit. You too, Thaddeus."

Thalia, the resident poisons expert, took her seat. A wicked grin pointed toward her brother. He sat with a sigh, not quite as cautious as Leo, or as wild as his sister.

"What is it?" Leo asked, voice lowered.

Thalia leaned forward a bit, and Thaddeus did the same from the opposite side.

"It's about the lady, Jhana. We have reason to believe she's a sorceress." Thaddeus whispered.

"I figured," Leo answered, "Mere mortals can't summon light at will."

"Yes," Thalia agreed. "But I'll have to get closer to figure out her capabilities."

Then she lowered her voice further.

"We think she's using a glamour."

Leo's lifted a brow. "If that's the case, we'd better keep a closer eye on her."

The twins nodded. Thaddeus inquired, with a quick look toward the map, "Anything we can help you with?"

Leo gave a small smile, and resumed his pointing at the map.

"We've captured three cities in Suria," he stated, listing them off from the top of his head. "And the city of Paledon in Cartel. Casa Venga in the Marshes still remains flooded, and we have yet to claim any lands under Garenyan and Devan rule. I'm thinking we should head to Suria, form a web of cities we conquered, then move to the Marshes and advance on Garenya and Deveas."

"Except," Thalia added, her eyes on the map, "The kingdoms are aware of our little skirmishes. The Devans have noted this, and Garenya has issued a security decree."

She furrowed her brow. "We're going to have a harder time traversing the Southern Kingdom, even with the magic mismatch among both sides. Each kingdom in the Royal Union is on high alert."