2

Entry for Day 22 of Marvel Whump Madness, hosted by Trekkiehood

tw: panic attack, anxiety, self-harm

summary: tony takes peter to the hospital and struggles to control his anxiety after they take peter back to operate.

word count: 1305

As soon as Tony managed to get Peter back into his normal clothes, he flew him to the hospital. He could feel a hundred eyes boring into him and the teenager as he deactivated the Nanotech suit while rushing through the ER doors.

The moment they saw the condition Peter was in, workers were surrounding them, transferring him to a stretcher while rapid-firing questions at Tony. He had no idea how he was able to answer them, but somehow, the words forced their way out of his mouth.

"What happened?"

"He... he was shot."

"By who? How did it happen?"

"I... I wasn't there," Tony stammered. "He got tangled in a fight between Spider-Man and a criminal and the criminal shot him. That... that's all I know."

"Do you know him?"

"He... he's my intern."

"Who is his legal guardian?"

"May... Parker. She's... she's his... she's his aunt."

"Do you have her contact information?"

"I... yes. I... I'll call her."

The nurse took a deep breath, modeling for him to do the same. "Mr. Stark, I need you to breathe. You don't have to call his aunt... we have people here who can do that."

"No, no... I don't want her to... to find out like that," he replied, struggling to get back his outward composure. "I'll do it."

He looked back over to where Peter had been a minute before, but the space was empty. "Where... where... where's the kid?" His heart felt like it was going to beat out of his chest, and he was struggling to keep his breathing calm.

It was an all-too-familiar feeling, and he fought it with every ounce of strength he had inside of him.

"They already took him back," the nurse told him. "He was very seriously injured."

"Yeah, I know!" Tony snapped. He took a deep breath. "Bill all expenses to me. Nothing to Ms. Parker, you understand?"

"If we bill you, he won't be covered by in—"

"Do I look like I need insurance to you?" Once again, he was forced to take a deep breath, struggling to bring his voice down to a normal level.

"Of course," the nurse sighed. "Whatever you want, Mr. Stark. Are you sure you wouldn't like us to call Ms. Parker?"

"No, I got it," he told her. "You need anything else?"

"Not for now. Feel free to take a seat. There's coffee, tea, and hot chocolate in the far corner. Just stay calm, and we'll let you know when we find anything out."

Tony didn't answer, turning away and steeling himself for the phone call he was about to be forced to make. He reached up to activate the tiny device in one ear, but his hand was shaking so violently that he missed the button over and over again, jabbing on all sides of it in his franticity.