Thirty one.

Chapter thirty one: It's already over

The park stood amongst various shrubs and weeds in all its six hundred and forty acres. When a slight breeze made the bushes rustle, Margo felt a sinking sensation in the pit of her stomach and she wondered if it was too late to turn back and retreat to the safety of her own home. But, the sun moved from behind the clouds and elongated its rays upon her glowing skin, and then she decided, maybe closure was for the best, so they could both move on with their lives as though their love affair never happened.

Taking a turn, she walked down the straight gravelled path lined with deciduous trees. As the laughter of children on play equipment and chattering of adult supervision came into both hearing and sight, she spotted a broad set of shoulders, clothed with a white shirt and unruly sandy coloured hair. The figure sat alone on the park's wooden bench, overlooking the vast pond which held quacking geese. Could it be?

Her knee length, black suede boots clicked against the stones on the path, reluctant to approach the male. But when he heard the crunching behind him, he turned his head once then turned it again. She was locked in sight and no longer able to retreat, she heaved a sigh and neared the male she knew far too well.

Margo hadn't aged a bit. Her honeycomb hair had grown below her breasts which here promptly on display through her skintight, plain white shirt. She wore figure hugging jeans, long boots and a black denim jacket. If he didn't know any better, she was in her early twenties and had the wright of the world on her shoulders with her sour frown which seemed to permanently curse her sinful lips. The only thing that changed was that she was no longer happy to see him. In fact, it appeared to be the quite opposite and he wasn't sure if this reunion would be beneficial.

Whereas William on the other hand, looked more unkempt than usual, much like his younger brother, only William's aura wavered with cigarette smoke and sadness. Just when she thought she'd met the new Will, a strong, resilient force had assembled from scratch and he stood up from the bench, his arms open wide to make room for her petite body, but he only embraced the bleak ghost of his past.

"Let's cut the shit, yeah?" She brushed past his shoulder and sat on the bench, one leg over the other and she clicked her tongue in distaste. He was wasting her time. "I've got shit to do and a family to rear."

William should've known she would have returned to her hostile ways, and yet, he prayed for a sliver of her humanity to grant him mercy. The way she looked disinterested made him believe that she no longer cared for his presence the way he subtly craved hers, but nevertheless, the wicked smirk played on his lips to give the impression he was stronger than he looked.

"Normally, you ask about everything." He spoke with a husky chuckle; his voice carrying the pain of his mistakes. "But you ain't gonna ask how I got these bruises?"

Margo barely glanced to his features and noticed purplish marks under hid eyes and a thick stab that formed on the side of his head. "I don't care about the shit you've done. I just want to know why the fuck I'm here when I have a million other things to waste my time on."

"You're here because you care." William's tongue skimmed over his chapped lips and he watched amusement etch Margo's exhausted expression. "You're hurt. I left, the same way you did and you got a glimpse of how I felt without you around. You're angry and you probably want to punch me, but you're still here. That's gotta count for something, right?"

Margo's eyes found the shimmering silver chain wrapped round his neck, the same very one she bought him for his birthday many years ago. "No. I'm here because I used to care and I want this to end just as much as you do."