Nineteen.

Chapter nineteen: Accepting

Margo panted as she heaved the last load of cash onto the stacked pile of bags that were up to her mid thigh. They'd been hiking for three hours, five stops in between and in a pitiful silence that engulfed them into death's devious arms.

They were so close. The snow on the mountains was sparse and it lay in thick clumps in the hollows of the rocks. They grey began to fade into green hills and Margo could make out the golden sands of the coast. From where they stood, it didn't look far, but when she thought about it logistically, it would probably take at least a full day to make it to their destination; the ocean.

Through a scope, William squinted one eye and examined the placid seas. "How late are we to meet the guy with the boat?"

"Five days." Ben was short of breath.

"Jesus." Pope panted. "Do you think he's still there?"

William shook his head and removed the scope from his sight. "I can't see shit." He sighed. "We need to get one of us down there. Think one of you could make it there and back?"

"I'll go." Benny volunteered. 

William shook his head. "Your Spanish sucks, Benny."

"I got it." Ben reloaded a gun and swung the strap over his shoulder.

Margo suddenly piped up and through her her dry throat, she croaked. "I'm going too."

"You're staying here." Ben turned to face her with a sullen look. "You're completely drained. You're sick and you've got a concussion. You need to rest."

Margo whispered with a frown. "I don't want you to leave."

"I'll be back soon, baby. I promise." Ben's fingers lightly caressed her blonde locks that looked dull due to the lack of nutrition and direct care. He then placed a gentle kiss upon her lips and when he pulled back, he pecked her forehead longingly. "You take care of yourself now, ya hear?"

On this treacherous day, she couldn't bring herself to smile. "No. You take care of yourself and get back as soon as possible. Stay out of trouble."

When Ben pulled back, he had this hesitant look on his face as though he wanted to say something else but either couldn't find the words to express it or find the courage to admit it. So instead of pestering to get an answer, she stood back and folded her arms to let him prepare for a day's walk lonesome to clear his head from the agony that needed released.

"Three?" Ben asked and shoved a stack of three thousand dollars in his bag.

Santiago nodded and slapped a paper article with documented information into Ben's chest. "Yeah. You're looking for the Hijo Pródigo."

Before letting his brother leave without saying goodbye, William spoke up. "Benny, watch your six."

"You watch yours."

All her life, Margo had been used to people walking out of her life without turning round. Only this time, she found love which she believe was returned and so the hopeless romantic side of her wanted for Benny to run back and pick her up, swinging her in the air like a doll before he rested her on his hips and kissed her with passion, and although he was a sucker for making her smile so purely through his playful ways, he had a mission to do and romance was the last thing on his mind, meaning he didn't turn around. But one thing was for certain; he would never leave her willingly.

Long after Benny had left, the sun no longer provided heat for the people, thus came dark and its unravelling icy blanket. Birds squawked in the distance and prepared for slumber upon dusk's break and Margo couldn't take it anymore. The pain in her head-The pain in her ears-The pain in every aching bone-The pain in her heart, she couldn't take it.