37. why they disappeared

Start from the beginning

"Maddie" I barely hear Bonnie's voice as I rush inside the room, only to find Arthur still standing by the railing, with his head down.

"Arthur?" I mumbled quietly and he looked up at me with sorrow "is that...?" but I can't bring myself to finish the question, I just couldn't.

Maybe I was imagining it... I had to be imagining it.

"He knew it was going to happen either way... he had no choice" Arthur mumbled with dread and I shook my head.

"No..." I mumbled, closing my eyes as I heard the screams echoing the room again, louder than before "no... no... this isn't happening... this isn't–" but my voice broke before I could finish.

"I'm sorry" Arthur apologized and I shook my head again.

This wasn't happening, this couldn't be happening. This had to be some sort of nightmare, Kai couldn't be the one screaming, it didn't make any sense, he just couldn't be–..."No... no..." I mumbled, shaking my head in denial and I opened my eyes once the screams ceased "this isn't real, he's fine... he's..."

"Miss Gilbert, I'm very sorry but it's best if you leave now, Mr. Parker didn't want you to be here–"

"No!" I snapped at Arthur and I rushed to the set of stairs, only to be stopped by an invisible barrier that wouldn't let me through "no... no... no" I sobbed under my breath, hitting the barrier over and over again, as if it would miraculously shatter into a million pieces, the sound of Kai's screams filling up the room again only making my desperation and sobs even worse.

"Miss Gilbert" I felt Arthur's hand on my shoulder but I immediately scooted away.

"No! You knew and you still let him go, and I–" but my voice gave in again and I fell on my knees "there... must be something we can do... please" I begged in-between sobs and I felt Bonnie's arms around me "please... Bonnie... please"

"There's nothing we can do Miss, only leaders can go in and they locked me out, I tried to–" but Arthur stopped, as the screams echoed the room again and I feel Bonnie holding me closer into her chest as my sobbing got worst. I could feel my heart tearing up slowly with every scream, the desperation to bring Kai to safety only growing agonizingly stronger.

I knew Kai wouldn't break so easily, he wouldn't give them the satisfaction, so whatever they were doing had to be really bad if he was screaming like this and that broke me, completely... knowing that he was enduring that much pain... I couldn't take it. I had to do something, I had to find a way, I couldn't let them hurt him more than they already had... I couldn't let Kai go through this "We have to help him" I pleaded and they stared at me with hesitation "they're torturing him, Bonnie, and I can't... we have to help him... you can help him"

"How?" she asked and I stood up just as Kai's screams echoed the room again, only this time my desperation and pain turn into a consuming and unwavering anger that's enough to guide me in the right direction.

"By bringing the whole room down" I replied in a beat and they both stared at me a little too shocked, as if what I just suggested was completely insane "if we can't get up there, we can bring 'there' down" I added with determination and they both exchanged looks.

Maybe it wasn't the best solution but I had to get him out of there, no matter the cost "But the Masters–"

"Forget about the masters, Arthur, I'm tearing this whole place apart with my hands if I have to" I cut him off, the desperation and anger in my voice making my words come across harsher than I intended to and I sighed "I'm sorry... I just... he's up there in pain... and I can't do anything about it... but I know I have to something, anything... I can't just let them hurt him... we have to do something... please" I pleaded and they gave me reassuring nods.