For my Next Trick

Poppy is now 7 months.
It's early morning, Jack and Nikki are asleep, cuddled together in their bed. This was the first night they had spent in bed together without one of them being on Call all night. They both love to sleep in each others company and now feel lost without each other.

Nikki is woken by the sound of Poppy whining on the baby monitor which is situated next to her bed, She groans and rolls over, removing Jack's arms from around her waist. She picks up the monitor and listens closely.

She hopes that Poppy will settle herself as she doesn't want to get out of bed just yet even though she has work in a couple of hours. Nikki waits a good five minutes but with no hope of Poppy settling, she gets herself out of bed and heads out the room.

Nikki walks to Poppy's room and slowly pushes the door open, she peers over at Poppy who is laid against the railings of her bed whining and biting the railings. Nikki steps into her room and walks over towards the cot.
Poppy looks up at Nikki and smiles, she rolls onto her back and claps her hands. "Hello, baby girl" Nikki speaks softly as she walks to the side of the cot.

As she goes to bring down the railing on the cot, Poppy completely on her own sits up and looks at Nikki with her hands in the air indicating she wants to be picked up.
Nikki completely ignores Poppy's arms and just stares at her open-mouthed, "What a clever girl" She coos as she finally comes back with it and lifts Poppy out of the cot.

Soon as she has lifted Poppy out her cot she carries her to the changing mat and changes her nappy. As Nikki puts a fresh nappy on Poppy sits herself up once again sits up unaided. Nikki kisses Poppy's head and lies her back down so she can fasten up her grow again.

Poppy puts up a fight and starts to scream and cry at Nikki as she doesn't want to lie down.
"Shh you're going to wake Daddy" Nikki coos as she picks her up and cuddles her closely to her chest.

Nikki soothes Poppy and carries her into her bedroom. Poppy grabs a handful of Nikki's hair and grasps it tightly. "Let go baby" Nikki says perching Herself on the bed.

With some prising and pulling she manages to free her hair and allows Poppy to sit on the middle of the bed.
Nikki gets up and starts to change her clothes and keeps an eye on Poppy at the same time.

Poppy lies on her back and rolls onto her stomach and kicks her legs frantically and tries to move up the bed sheets. She grunts and whines as she tries to move.

Nikki keeps an eye on her and sits down and does her makeup, "Jack, wake up! I'm due to perform a post-mortem soon."

Jack groans and just lies there with his eyes shut, Nikki huffs and continues to apply her makeup.

Once finished Nikki stands and walks over to Poppy and sits her daughter on Jacks chest, she smirks "Jack, Pops is sat on you... she doesn't have a nappy on."

He suddenly opens his eyes and looks at his daughter who is patting his face and squealing. "Liar" Jack breathes a sigh of relief noticing her fully clothed.

Jack sits up causing Poppy to roll off him. She lands on the empty space beside him and starts to squeal. "I wish you wouldn't do that to her! She's going to get hurt" Nikki speaks.

"Does she look hurt to you? She's squealing her head off as usual" Jack says over the noise of their daughter.
He rolls Poppy onto her back and places his one hand on her stomach and shakes his hand, making Poppy fall into a fit of giggles.

"Jack!" Nikki says as she hates him doing that to her.

"She's had no breakfast right?" He asks and She shakes her head, "well there is nothing wrong then" Jack replies.

Nikki gets up off the side of the bed and heads out the room. "I'll be off in ten" she calls back as she heads downstairs and makes herself a cup of tea.