14

Callie

I woke up earlier than Charlie for once. Adrenaline was rushing through me and nothing could stop me at this point. It was our game against the Hawks today. It was a huge huge deal!

When we got to the rink, the game started with the national anthem. Both teams side by side on the ice. I was in front of Charlie and beside me was a Hawk who's hair made me cringe. We looked at each other and all I did was shot him a kind but deadly glare.

When the anthem ended, the cheers of the crowd filled the arena. "Let's go! Come on!" Coach cheered. "Let's go Ducks!" I yelled. I caught sight of Banks skating with his head hung low so I caught up to him and gave him a little nudge. "Star player having some pre-game jitters?" I teased. "Very funny, Conway." He scoffed. "Hey, loosen up! We gotta show 'em who's boss!" I smiled as I skated towards my brother.

"Championships. Who ever thought we'd make it this far, huh?" I smiled. Charlie rolled his eyes and chuckled. "You did." He said. "That's right!" I beamed as we all settled along the bench. "Come on, let's get fired up!" Coach said as he gathered us and stretched his hand out. We all started quacking and the sound of the audience echoing our chant made our hearts beat faster and stronger. "Goooo Ducks!" We cheered as we pumped our fists into the air. "Let's go Ducks! Keep the focus!" I cheered as I clapped my hands.

Coach benched me for the first part of the game. The whole arena held their breath as Banks and McGill took center. The referee dropped the puck and McGill and Larson immediately sandwiched Banks. "Hey no fair!" I yelled as I got up on my feet. "Keep it cool, Callie." Coach calmly warned. I nodded and sat back down.

"Let's go Banks! Go Charlie!" I cheered on for the boys. The game was intense. The Hawks were playing rough but the Ducks were staying strong. Banks had control of the puck as McGill and Larson sped after him. He passed to Charlie before he got badly checked into the walls. "Damn it!" I said under my breath. Hawks scored. It was now 1-0. But we weren't giving up just yet.

Coach put me in and he had me make sure to give Banks all the room he'd need to make a shot. Guy had the puck and I shifted my focus to have his back. But the Hawks were to quick to catch him as they stole the puck and shot another goal. Goldberg tried to catch it too soon. "Careful, Goldberg. These's guys can mess with ya. Keep your eyes sharp." I said as I helped him up. "Gotcha, Conway." He panted.

Just when I had control of the puck and I was aiming to shoot a goal, someone pushed me hard and I felt all my weight come crashing down. I lost the puck and I felt a pang on my dominant arm. Charlie quickly came to help me up. "Can you play?" He asked. "Yeah! Of course!" I smiled as I skated back. But the time I took to recover was enough time for the Hawks to score another goal. They cheered in victory as my teammates' spirits were starting to fade.

"C'mon guys! Heads up! We still have a shot at this! Quickly but carefully!" I told those on the ice as we headed towards the bench. "Leave it to Callie to keep our spirits high." Charlie said to Banks. "I heard that!" I laughed as I wrapped my arms around the two.

"Don't be scared of them, Ducks. That's what they want." Coach said as he slowly walked through all of us. "Keep your heads up. Play proud. Let's fly!" He cheered so confidently. It took just that to boost our spirits. Coach Bombay didn't give up on us and he wasn't stopping now. We all cheered in response. "Come on, let's go!" He cheered as they got back on the ice.

It was an intense game and coach had me benched for this part. It took a while but Banks got a hold of the puck and he was skating hard. It'd take only a split second for him to swing and score a goal. "That's it, Banks! Go for it!" I cheered. He took a swing and right on time, McGill pushed him from behind.