Chapter 8

"Mama! Guess what!" Camila screams into her phone before starting her song over. "She gon be faaamous, she gon be faaamous!"

You and Lauren shrug and join the party, dancing over to Camila.

"She gon be faaamous, she gon be faaamous!"

* * *

"Yeah, Candece told her that she was the best talent she had heard since she picked us up," Lauren explains to Sinu over the phone. Camila tried to explain, but sort of ended up crying, and now she's sitting in your lap on the floor. You're watching Lauren reiterate Candece's words to Sinu, who's on speaker so that all three of you can hear her.

"She's basically on the team, all she has to do is all the legal shmegal stuff, and she'll be boarding the plane with me and Camz tomorrow," Lauren speaks into Camila's phone.

"That's fantastic! Congratulations, (Y/N). I'll call your parents and explain to them, since you've clearly got better things to do at the studio. Lauren, make sure she doesn't sign her life away, will you? I don't trust Mila with the whole business part of this business."

"Will do, Mama C," Lauren laughs. "But Candece won't screw us over, you know that."

"I know, I trust her with you girls, I just wanted to make fun of Karla," Sinu says matter of factly.

"Mama, I'm right here!" Camila shouts indignantly over you and Lauren's giggling.

"All the better," Sinu retorts. "Text me when you're on your way home, te quiero, mis ninas."

The three of you chorus your goodbyes to Sinu and hang up.

You sigh.

"Now what?" You ask, honestly not sure what happens next. Lauren and Camila turn their heads to you. "I never thought we'd actually get this far," you shrug.

"Now we wait. Gotta see what they want to do with you," Lauren says as Candece and Griffin walk back into the studio with some man holding a clipboard.

"We want to do everything with little miss Beautiful over here," Candece says, snapping her fingers at clipboard dude. "Write this down, Marty. We want to start with agents and publicity and getting her out there, people need to be excited about seeing her with people, we need photo shoots and we need social media, we need videos that are guaranteed to go viral, we need to call 5H's stylists, we need measurements, we need-"

"Air," you interrupt, sliding Camila out of your lap and running out of the room, overwhelmed by all of the to do details. You run out the door of the studio, past the tables and chairs in the conference room, and out into the hallway. You run around a few corners until you're lost, and sink down against the nearest wall, not bothering to stop the tears that are welling up in your eyes. You're about to start rethinking everything when you hear a voice calling from farther away.

"(Y/N)? (Y/N)?"

It's Lauren.

"(Y/N), where the hell... Marco!" Lauren calls. ...Marco?

"Babe, this game only works if you help me out a bit," she shouts again. "Marco!"

You're confused for a split second longer before it clicks in your head. You smile.

"Polo," you call back.

"Marco!" Lauren laughs, sounding closer.

"Polo!"

"Marc-," you see Lauren's head poke around the corner that you're residing in. You can see her assessing the situation as she steps closer, her eyes observing your restless hands and teary eyes. She slides her back down the wall so she's sitting next to you, and you both just sit there for awhile, studying each other.