Excerpt 5

I don't know how they all expected me to act calm. I was scared about how tomorrow was going to go down, horrified at having to face Jasper and for my brothers to perhaps find out what he had done to me, and on top of all that, I was terrified of what might happen to Alex. I mean, Jasper had already touched him and we had barely been here half an hour.

My blood boiled at the thought of his filthy hands on my Alex, and I looked over at Alex. He sat in the same chair as before, talking to Raymond and trying to act normal, but i could tell he was still shaken up. His eyes looked frightened, and he sat on the edge of his chair, as if ready to run at any moment.

"I can't believe we are doing this." I glanced over at Jonathan, who was still standing near me, making sure I wasn't going to go do anything crazy and ruin our plan.

"It's doesn't seem real to me either, but it's about damn time." My eyes were back on Alex. I wanted to comfort him, to let him tell me exactly how he felt and to be there if he needed me, but we weren't alone, and he was still mad at me.

"I don't know if I'm ready." His blue eyes were clouded with so many emotions.

"For what? Confronting him?" That's what I was the most unprepared for. Why was that part of our plan again?

"To be king." He leaned against the wall casually, but his eyes showed his hidden turmoil.

"You are more than ready. And besides, you'll have Jordan there to help you."

"I know I'm going to be a fuck up...like him."

"You're nothing like him." My jaw clenched at the even the mention of Jasper. Would tomorrow ever come?

"Thanks." He cleared his throat, possibly the only sign that he was slightly emotional, and only one you'd recognize if you knew him well. His eyes and voice gave nothing away.

There was a quiet tap on the door, and Alex immediately stopped talking, eyes fixed on the door.

"That's probably just Mark, my secretary." Jonathan explained, opening the door and allowing the other man to walk in.

The other man was at least half a foot shorter than me, and barely looked eighteen. But the thing I noticed before all of that, was the long scar that ran from his forehead, between his eyes and down to his jaw. It couldn't have been more than a year old, only beginning to fade slightly from what it must have been like.

I tried not to stare, knowing that that was probably something he hated, but it was hard to look away from it. How did someone get a scar like that? A knife? Maybe he had been in a knife fight...

"Jordan said that there was nothing to worry about as far as the general was concerned, and Eva said that she wanted to talk to your guests." He gestured towards the three of us, and Jonathan glanced over a Raymond for a moment longer than the rest of us.

"Thank you, Mark." Jonathan smiles at him, but it was the way he smiled that caught me off guard. His secretary? There was too much affection in his eyes for just that.

"Oh no!" Mark almost yelled, looking around at all of us before tilting his head up to frown at Jonathan. "More fucking gays!"

Before anyone had a chance to get offended, Jonathan threw his hands up in exasperation.

"Oh come on. None of them are fucking." Mark rolled his eyes before looked over at Alex and then at me, and then back at Alex again. How could he be working for Jonathan and be homophobic? That didn't add up.

"Yeah, but those two want to be." And to my horror, he pointed at Alex and me.

I felt warmth spreading to my face, barely glanced at Alex's face to see the blush there, and tried to block out the giggles that came from Raymond and Jonathan. I'm serious, actual giggles.