Guardian of Currents

Start from the beginning

Those born with the Nether are not welcome even beneath the waves.

It is as the suns contend for center sky that the white sandy beaches of the island come into view. It is a picturesque place surrounded by aquamarine water clear as a mirror and covered in stretches of luscious green.

"We are almost there," Helio announces.

Ra'venna watches the approaching island, her unbound hair whipping around her face. She had promised herself as she flew away from the smoking battlefield that was the Silver Palace grounds, on Helio's back that she would hide no more. The beach was a necessary camouflage while within the lands of the enemy, but there are no enemies on Maeinlien Island.

Ra'venna hurries below deck to let down the anchor. She yanks down the lever. The giant spool whirls around unraveling the rope. Below the anchor plunges into the sand, kicking up a geyser of sand.

She returns to the deck as Helio is steadying the ship. She spares a glance at the rows of ships lined up to the left. From the deck, Ra'venna has a wide view of the island. She can see the Mer manning stands of goods that can be found no where else in the world and the various races that have come from the four corners of the two realms to acquire them.

Of all the traits unique to Merfolk none are as well known as their tails. They possess the marvelous ability to change their tails into scaled legs and walk on land. The one hindrance is that they cannot spend too long away from the element of their birth or they will die of what in simplest terms is extreme dehydration.

Ra'venna steps off the stairs onto the pristine beaches. Overhead the suns are strong enough to blind. She shifts a pale pink shell peeking out from the sand with her foot while Helio checks to make sure the ship is secure.

"Ready," Helio states.

"We'll need to speak with the Gatekeepers," Ra'venna says.

They head through the thin crowd of trees that border the beach towards the open air market populated by barefoot scantily clad Merfolk and a mixture of Elves, Kitsunes, Thunderbirds, Fairies, and the High Race.

It doesn't take them long to be spotted. Creatures balk and step away, gathering in crowds. Whispers spread across the island like a wildfire. Ra'venna pretends to be ignorant of their words and strolls past with her head held high and her hair billowing in the ocean breeze. Helio walks alongside her like a king parading the streets of his kingdom.

The island is an uneven ring of green, surrounding a pool of water known to outsiders as the Gate. It's guarded by a group of Krussithran soldiers at all hours, day and night. They are charged with keeping outsiders from the world below and protecting to Merfolk above water.

As they approach, a soldier rises from the water and rushes towards them, his hand wrapped around the shaft of a speak. His unbound red locks indicate he's a Fire Merman. In place of a tail he has two muscled legs covered in ruby scales that appear to change color in the sunlight. He's wearing little in the way of armor, only shell shoulder guards and bracers. He wears no pants only a breechcloth to maintain modesty. It's for the benefit of the outsiders. Merfolk care little for modesty.

He approaches them seemingly uncomfortable or unsteady on his feet. He pauses a few feet in front of them, entrusting his spear with much of his weight. "You are the Nether Fairy." It takes a moment for Ra'venna to understand he is speaking Fairic. His pronunciation is off, he emphasis the wrong syllables, and hurls the words out like knives. Cautiously, Ra'venna nods. Helio stands, his form half hidden by hers, with a hand on the handle of his sword.

"Queen Shellina requests you."

Ra'venna glances over her shoulder at Helio who shrugs in response. They met the Queen when they came for Izona's fragment of the Disc which was in the possession of Krussithra's royal family. Helio dueled Prince Merpus for the right to take it. Why could she wish to see them?