- 5

Wednesday

"Do you have any plans Friday night?"

The deep voice made Kaylee jump and fumble over her locker. Stacks of her final papers went scattering across the tiles as she felt an extreme case of deja-vu.

A low chuckle followed, and the same two strong arms were helping her pick up the papers again. "We should stop meeting like this. There's something called a folder to put your papers in you know." Duke stated matter-of-factly.

The last time they had an encounter Kaylee didn't get to utter a single word, but this time she was ready.

"I know, but what's the point? End of the week and we'll all be out of this hellhole anyway," she replied, her voice coming out surprisingly steady.

Duke chuckled again and placed the papers in Kaylee's outstretched arm. Their fingers touched and suddenly the hallway seemed a little less dreary.

"You're full of surprises, Kaylee," he muttered softly, and Kaylee's heart constricted at the way her name rolled off his lips.

She stared at the ground, stared at her faded shoes and wrinkled jeans and the little chubby belt surrounding her waist and wondered what on Earth made the guy in the bomber jacket and designer shoes ever want to talk to her.

"You haven't answered my question."

Kaylee looked up, and she didn't see the notorious motorbike racer everyone was talking about. She saw a gorgeous, helpful guy who wanted an answer.

Wanted her answer.

And Kaylee had felt unwanted all her life, so at that moment she went Screw it, I'm leaving this shithole next week. She gathered up her courage, ignoring the looks of disbelief from the people around her, and looked him straight in the eyes

"What time will you pick me up?"