Chapter 16 - Logan

JUNE 2022 UPDATE: Go read "Lucy", a spinoff of the Masked SheWolf trilogy, now updating on Wattpad, and its "Behind the Scenes" companion book that includes character profiles and a complete recap of the trilogy, as told by the characters in interview format.

±!@#$%^&*()_+

Three more names were crossed off my father's list. Two of them kicked us out of their houses the second we mentioned my father's name. It wasn't like with the Mariners; they didn't turn us away out of fear. It seemed more like they hated my father. The third family does not even remember who my father is. They were nice enough to invite us for some tea though.

The fourth family Cade and I visit is another sad and hopeless case. When we get there, the house is abandoned. It's not hard to conclude they moved.

"Damn it, I really had a good feeling about this one," I admit to Cade.

"We'll find something," he assures me. "One of those names is bound to talk to us."

I don't acknowledge how much I hope he's right.

"What do we do now?" he asks.

I remember the Mariners telling us they went to the police when they thought Jace's kidnapping was something done by a human. Maybe this family had a similar idea.

With my luck turning worse and worse with each name we cross off my dad's list, I think it's understandable that I'm really hoping for a change of fortune right about now. But things don't turn out the way I want them to, unfortunately. I get a big surprise when we're about to walk into the police station.

"Jason?" I say when I spot my cousin leaning against the side of the building. "What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be going out with the guys?"

Jason shrugs. "They couldn't make up their minds on where to go, so they just decided to hang out at Tyler's place. I didn't feel like sitting around. So what are you up to, cuz?"

I narrow my eyes and sidestep that question. "So instead, you decided to drive forty-five minutes to meet me, when I'm working on something you're not allowed to know about? How did you find me anyway?"

"GPS, dude," he replies in an obvious tone.

I've always found the way he sometimes talks to others like they're dumber than him kind of irritating. I haven't had to deal with it much, because we're related, and I'm also his alpha. I don't buy it. Not the GPS thing, but his excuse.

"Jason, why are you really here?"

He gives up the pretense and says. "Okay, fine," he relents. "It's my sister."

Taking a step toward him, I immediately tense up and imagine the worse. "What happened? Is she okay?"

He raises his hands up. "Easy Romeo. Reena's fine. She's just... well, she's depressed, to put it lightly. She's gone to some bar all by herself, and she wouldn't come with me when I tried to get her to come home."

Reena has been mad since the bonfire camp. She hasn't said a word about it though, and it has been eating her up inside. I should have expected that she would do something like this, and I'm guessing she wants to pick a fight.

Exasperated, I sigh and shake my head. "Give me your car and go back with Cade. Where is she again?"

"That Irish place five minutes from home," he tells me.

I turn to my beta. "Try to get a copy of whatever relevant reports you can find." I look at my cousin again. "You, stay in the car when he's in there. You're still not allowed to know what this is about."