Chapter 1 - Michael

JUNE 2022 UPDATE: Go read "Lucy", a spinoff of the Masked SheWolf trilogy, now updating on Wattpad, and its "Behind the Scenes" companion book that includes character profiles and a complete recap of the trilogy, as told by the characters in interview format.

±!@#$%^&*()_+

My patience sometimes amazes me. On any normal day, I am the most impatient person in my family. One of the perks of being the youngest is that I usually get what I want, if I ask my parents nicely enough of course.

I never ask for anything extravagant; I understand that there is a limit. However, anything my parents can provide for me is never refused. If I want the new PlayStation, I will get it tomorrow.

For my eighth birthday, they even got me a whole park full of inflatable balloon castles. I think they do this kind of stuff to overcompensate for denying me the freedom to really be myself, which means that despite always being given most of the things I asked for, I didn't grow up to be spoiled.

I did, however, become an impatient child, and it stuck with me since then.

However, today is War Day. On those days, I am always so concentrated on getting my task done that my patience is practically endless.

I can tell what each of my brothers is responsible for, thanks to the trails left behind by their individual scents. Mason made his move this morning when I woke up and stuffed my feet into whipped-cream-filled slippers. Before I could even start planning how to get back at him, Danny apparently also glued my shoes to the floor. Then Nate made sure my bedroom was locked from the outside, and he probably has the key.

At first, I wasn't sure if Connor had done his part yet or not, but then I notice that Burns isn't in the room, even though the window is closed, and I know that he did. I usually leave the window open for Burns at night. He would leave and eat mice, or whatever it is cats do at night.

But Burns either should have been back already, or the window should have been opened, because he always closes it after he comes back, right before crawling next to me to sleep.

I could have forgiven my other brothers' harmless pranks by going easy on them, but my eldest is so going to pay. Nobody messes with my cat.

I found him myself when I was sixteen. Burns was left by his mother to die in the corner of a diner where my brothers and I like to hang out. He was so tiny, and he was crawling blindly across the dirty ground, all blackened from rolling in the filth around him. It was only after I washed him that I found out Burns was actually grey with a white underside, and that it wasn't all dirt. I fed him every day with a dropper for a few weeks, until he could see and walk around on his own. But then Burns started following me home. I didn't even lead him here; he found me on his own. So I asked my parents if I could keep him, and they let me.

Sometimes, Burns acts more like a creature with a conscience than a cat. He's attached to me, even though it shouldn't be possible, because I am in a way related to dogs. But I am still very protective of him.

As motivated as I am right now to hatch the perfect evil plan and get back at Connor before going to the others, being trapped in my bedroom is kind of a setback. I could just break the door, but I might as well shout out that I'm awake and lose the element of surprise. Besides, it would make my parents very angry, and that's never a wise decision.

So that's how I ended up sneaking out of my bedroom window, just five minutes after waking up.

Connor's room is right next to mine. All I have to do is carefully climb up the tree outside my window, go to the side facing Connor's room, swing down, go in through his window and execute my master plan. Piece of cake!