Chapter 3: You know who your real friends are

" Why aren't you answering me?" he asked, his minty breathe fanning across my face.

" Ugh. Get away from me." I avoided his eyes and pushed him away.

" Are you?" he persisted.

" What does it have to do with you?" I retorted, walking away

" Nothing actually. I mean it's fine if you are too much of a coward to admit your sexual preferences." he gave a careless shrug.

" I am not a coward." I gritted my teeth, glaring at him.

" Then answer me." he looked right into my eyes.

" Yeah. I am into girls. Happy?" I replied evenly.

" You're lying, Copper." he narrowed his eyes.

" No I'm not. What did you expect? That I would say I was a hetero like you?" I snapped back.

" Chill. Whatever man. I mean you know if you're lying so let's just grab something to eat." Mikhael shook his head.

" You." I jabbed my finger at his chest, " can have lunch without me."

And with that i stormed out of school, ditching school for the entire day.

I spent the rest of the day, driving around town, thinking about Mikhael's bold confession to a girl he barely knew about being a hetero while I could not even muster enough courage to tell my best friends about... me.

Well, I told myself that I would come clean to my friends about being a hetero tomorrow but ended up feeling sorry for myself the entire morning for not being able to say anything about it when i met up with my clique for breakfast.

" So what was that all about yesterday?" Ria asked me, as we drove to school in Jack's jeep.

" What was what?" I looked at her, puzzled.

" You ditched school." she pointed out.

" So what? Can't I ditch school?" I looked away.

" Yeah but, it was because you were fighting with that new dude." Ria played with her hair.

" Why were you arguing with Mikhael?" Caleb rest his arm on my shoulder.

" He was being an ass." I muttered, looking down.

" Yeah obviously but why?" Jack snorted.

" Shut up Jack. She doesn't wanna talk about it." Ria chided him.

" Aww is little Ria finally protecting her girlfriend?" Jack said in his girly voice.

" She is not my girlfriend!" I snapped, feeling annoyed that I was forced to hide the fact that I was kind of a homophobe.

Everyone stared at me in shock.

" Wow ouch." Ria mumbled.

" Sorry I just... I hate it when people pair me up with a girl." I replied and regretted immediately at my totally unexpected confession.

" Wait what?" André turned behind and frowned at me.

" Do you.. well... not like girls?" Caleb asked softly.

" I absolutely adore them. I mean they are of the freaking same sex as me. What's not weird about that since only a few decades ago heterosexuals were the norms." I breathed out, feeling relieved.

" You are sick. Ew are you a hetero?" André frowned even more.

" Yeah. Do you have a problem with that? Oh I'm sorry am I unfriended because I am practically a criminal now?" I growled at André.

With that as Jack pulled his car into the school's parking lot, I stormed out of the car and slammed the door especially hard.

" Skye! He didn't mean it!" Ria shouted.

" Yeah. He did. Some friend you are André! And I thought we were best friends!" I screamed back, tears stinging my eyes.

I ran into school, crying.

Lucky for me we were one of the earliest.

The unlucky part, I bumped into Mikhael who was flirting with a blushing sophomore.

" Copper what's wrong?" Mikhael frowned.

" Nothing." I walked towards the girls bathroom.

" Hey! Look at me. What's wrong?" Mikhael cupped his hands around my tear-stained face.

" Everything." And I cried like a baby as he hugged me.

As people started to stream in, Mikhael grabbed my hand and pulled me to one of the music rooms in the school.

" So what happened?" He looked at me carefully.

" What you wanted." I muttered, crossing my arms.

" So you are normal. Thank god." Mikhael grinned.

" How is it normal? We are criminals! It's against the freaking law to be a hetero!" I lowered my voice, glaring at him.

" We are suppose to be attracted to the opposite sex! Its said in the bible. Or else tell me why even up till now guy couples are unable to have a baby without a woman?" He challenged, sitting on the floor.

" How would I know? And why thank god?" I looked at him, feeling better already.

" I am terrified of gays." He admitted sheepishly.

" You are a homophobe? The cocky egoistic jerk is scared of homos?" I laughed.

" It's creepy especially if a guy hits on me. ugh." he shuddered.

" I am kind of scared to. It just doesn't feel right." I sighed, plopping down next to him.

" How' bout your moms?" I asked.

" Well I don't exactly have two moms. I have a father and a mother who are divorced." he chuckled.

" Shut up!". I exclaimed, staring in awe.

" It's only America you know. The stupid laws and everything." he laughed.

" You're kidding? Then why would you come back?" I frowned.

" Because my mom misses her dads. And its freaking creepy to see two old dudes who are my grandfathers cuddling."

" Shit. I have to get out of here." I murmured.

As if on cue, the bell rang for our first period.

" Wait you haven't told me why you cried!" Mikhael asked as we stood up.

" My supposed best friend judged me." I muttered.

" Like Caleb?" his eyes widened.

" What no. He didn't say anything. The guy who hit on you." I replied, walking out of the music room.

" Ew gross. Why are you a hetero?" Mikhael teased, faking disgust.

" Dude..." I chuckled, lightly punching his arm.

" Skye. Hey. I was looking for you." Caleb interupted

" Yeah. Like you care. You didn't even say a word." I rolled my eyes.

" See you later Copper." Mikhael whispered, grinning as he headed to his class.

" I care okay. And I didn't say a word because... I like you." Caleb murmured.