In The Night

Hey guys! This chapter is kinda going to be about character development and getting to know Rio. Read on!

Rio day in her hammock, reflecting on the day. Outside, she could hear the screeches of Snatchers outside and shuddered. It has to be almost midnight. She thought, peering over the sleeping girls until she could see outside. Training was fun. I wish I just had more to do. It's so boring. Rio sighed and then thought about what Maybell had told her. Don't make friends. Build armor. What in the Labyrinth's name is that supposed to mean? I bet you couldn't last a month here without other people. I would go mad. Maybell had also told her that she was "fiery". She figured that meant sassy, since she had made some snarky comments. She quietly crept out of the hammock building, sure that no one would see her. As tired as she was, she couldn't sleep. She stumbled out and broke into a full sprint. Cool air blew against her, and she had never felt so free. She stumbled over a rock, but quickly caught herself. It was so peaceful without anyone else there. She walked over to a Labyrinthine wall and ran her hands over the vines. She had a lot of questions if Maybell or Amelia were willing to answer them. She grabbed a fistful of ivy and tore it off the wall. She stared at it and felt the start of an idea forming in her mind. What if, she thought, we climbed the vines? It would be a sure way out of here... she threw down the vines in her hands and jumped, grabbing a couple of thick ones just above the spot of bare wall where she had grabbed the ivy. She pulled herself up, inch by excruciating inch, until she was about six to seven feet in the air. She knew it was hopeless. She didn't have the physical strength to climb such a tall wall. She let herself drop to the ground, flinching as she hit the hard earth. In that moment, looking up at the impossible wall, she decided that she would never stop trying to find a way out.