The Lift

Disclaimer!
I do not, in fact, own The Maze Runner. If I did, there would be much less death.

Rio awoke to a loud, thundering noise. She scrambled to her feet, but then immediately fell down because the metal under her feet was vibrating with the power of the thing she was trapped in. "H-hello?" She called, pushing herself into a corner. Rio closed her eyes, breathing heavily and trying to stay calm when the only thing she really wanted to do was cry. After roughly thirty minutes, the box came to a shuddering halt. The doors were thrown open, and bright sunlight filled the air. Dozens of faces peered down at her, and she hesitantly stood up. A few girls dropped down to help her out, all of them doing so quietly and quickly. Now that Rio could look around, she noticed that they were all girls. She surveyed the area around her, and her mouth dropped open in surprise. She was in a sort of grassland, with a small forest near the corner. There was a farm near the right side, and dozens of building made out of sticks and woven grass mats were scattered around the clearing. Then, she looked up, and her mouth dropped open even wider, if that was possible. Huge stone walls surround the clearing, and they were easily one hundred feet tall. They were cracked and crumbly, with numerous vines hanging down the sides. One of the girls laughed and said, "Ay, First-Timer! Close your mouth or you're gonna get a fly for lunch!" Rio felt herself turn red while the other girls started to chuckle. "Don't listen to old Maybell here, First-Timer." This came from a girl to Rio's right. She had dark skin and thick black hair. "The name's Harriet. What's yours?" Rio stuttered, and then quietly said "Rio." Harriet smiled, and threw her arms around Rio's shoulders. "Well then, Rio, you're gonna have a mighty fine time here with us. If you don't die, I mean."