chapter one

chapter one | submission

I stepped out of the dorms with my leather strap bound books lugged over my shoulder, a look of blank boredom plastered on my face as I eyed the sea of Day Class girls flocking the front gates of our dorm. I could even see a few males among them as well. They were screaming and shoving at each other, yelling harsh words at the small brunette girl who was tasked with keeping them all at bay. Poor girl.

"They're really going at it today." A calm voice commented from beside me, the voice belonging to a tall male with orange hair and eyes of a darker shade. "Hanabusa is going to have a field day." There was a shadow of a smirk playing on his lips that mirrored my own.

I smiled amusingly at this statement, already picturing the blond throwing himself at the crowd and getting scolded for 'flirting' with the Day Class girls and asking them their blood type. "Your cousin is a foolish lad, Lord Kain." My voice was calm in comment, but holding no malice in my words.

"Watch yourself, Gin." He warned me, though the slight smile tugging at his lips were enough to tell that I was not being scolded. "The others won't appreciate that sort of talk from you."

My neck craned up to lock eyes with the aristocrat I called a friend. My only friend. "Of course, but you know I never mean such things as slander," my eyes trailed back into the dorm through the opened door, "if anything, it is out of envy." I could clearly see the two blonds inside speaking to one another, one trying to help the other decide on which way to tuck his shirt. How care free.

A warm hand placed itself on my shoulder and my eyes once again locked with the burning orange mirrors that showed no emotion and reflected only my own back to me. "One day." He gave me those two simple words every day since our first meeting, and they carried a weight that was unknown to all but the two of us. They carried strength.

Sensing a strong presences, I winced in slight pain as my body moved to the side on instincts, making way for the lord or lords to exit the dorms. Kuran Kaname. My head dipped in a bow of respect and my voice flowed out like a robotic machine. "Good evening, Lord Kuran." My short hair hid my face from view, however it was apparent to all who knew me-to Lord Kain-that I was frustrated. Automatic submission, my worse enemy.

I was only given a hum in return while he turned his attention to the fire welding lord. "Kain, remember to keep an eye on Aidō. We do not want a repeat of the previous incident." That was right, Lord Aidō was returning from his suspension for feeding on human blood. On Kurosu Yuuki's blood in specific.

He walk off the front steps as the other aristocrats walked out to join as well. I looked up ever so slightly through my lashes to give Lord Kain a look; silently asking if I can take my leave. He nodded and then turned his attention to his cousin that was now exiting the dorms. I took this time to back away and stand in the distance by the trees, the mental pressure of so many higher ranked vampires around me beginning to be too much.

I waited for the gates to open and for the others to walk through the parting crowd before I started walking as well. This was the daily routine for me: converse with Lord Kain, greet Lord Kuran in silence, be ignored, get pardoned by Lord Kain, follow from a distance. My life was a pitiful life, but it was mine nonetheless.

By the time I was making my way through the gates, the crowd had dwindled away; back to the safety of their dorms. It was simply me and the Guardians now, Kiryū Zero and Kurosu Yuuki--the adopted children of the headmaster. One a naive child and the other a desperate hunter in the making.

"Ah, Senior Clover!" The young Cross girl called out to me as she ran over to me. "Good evening!" She was beaming at me like a child would a candy shop owner, her child like naivety almost amusing to me. I stopped myself from smiling when I felt the pricing glare of the other Guardian, boarding holes into the back of my skull.

I simply nodded to the girl in acknowledgement before carrying on my way to class. I was told to keep contact with the girl to a minimum, well with all Day Class students, but with Kurosu Yuuki even more so. Lord Kuran is rather protective of the girl, though I cannot say that I know the reason behind his affections towards the girl, I will say that they appeared to be similar in appearance. Perhaps she simply reminds him of the family he had lost all those years ago.

Whatever the case, I will follow orders and keep my distance. After all, I had nowhere else to go and losing my place in this academy was not an ideal situation. I was trapped here, under the footing of aristocrats, and I was trapped here by my own unbecomings. Fate played no hand in my life, for I was still alive.

When I arrived to class, my entering was left unnoticed and I took my seat silently and unbound my books as the instructor walked in to begin the nightly lessons.

ᴏɴᴇ ᴅᴀʏ... ᴛʜᴇ ɴɪɢʜᴛ ᴡɪʟʟ ɴᴏᴛ ʙᴇ sᴏ ʙʟᴇᴀᴋᴇ

sᴏɴɢ: ᴍᴀᴅɪsᴏɴ ʙᴇᴇʀ - ᴅᴇᴀʀ sᴏᴄɪᴇᴛʏ