Chapter 5

Chapter 5
* * * * *

Jisoo had been standing outside the suite for a couple of minutes, shifting her weight from foot to foot, occasionally wiping her palms on her hips. Her hands felt clammy. Her pulse was jumpy. Her breathing was shallow. There was no disguising how nervous she felt. She was working herself up to knocking on the door when it opened, apparently by itself. There was no sign of the room’s inhabitant, but from within the room she heard Jennie call out, “Come on in before you make a dent in the carpet, Chu.”

Shaking her head softly at her own behaviour, she let herself in and closed the door behind her. She didn’t move from the doorway, though, unsure of what the correct protocol was. She had, after all, never picked someone up for a date before, male or female.

“I’ll be two seconds.” The voice came from an open doorway to Jisoo’s left, which she assumed must be the bedroom.

“There’s no rush.” She stared around the living area, which was surprisingly modern in style. Her own normal room was decorated in generic hotel room natural tones: white bedcovers and taupe everything else. She certainly didn’t have a five-piece chocolate leather sectional couch or a glass-fronted wet bar. She was so busy looking around that she didn’t notice that Jennie had emerged until she heard a discreet cough. Spinning on her heel, she turned in the direction of the noise.

“Hi,” Jennie chuckled.

She tried to speak – she opened her mouth and she was pretty sure that her brain sent the appropriate signals – but nothing came out. She shut her mouth again and just stared. She had never felt so awe-struck.

Technically, Jennie was wearing a simple black dress. It wasn’t particularly short, ending just above her knees. It wasn’t particularly low in the back. It wasn’t even particularly revealing. There would definitely be guests at the evening reception who would be showing off considerably more skin. It did, however, have a neckline that plunged below where a bra strap would have been. So, aside from the fact that Jennie looked insanely gorgeous in it, Jisoo’s mind was trying to cope with knowing what she definitely wasn’t wearing under it.

The brunette smiled almost shyly. “Is this okay, then?”

“You… It… I…” Jisoo seemed to be having real trouble with words. She stood mutely as Jennie approached her and leaned in towards her.

She felt soft breath on her cheek as Jennie asked, “Shall we?” She nodded and followed the brunette out of the suite.

“Are you sure that your friends won’t mind me crashing their wedding?” Jennie asked as they stepped onto the elevator. Again, Jisoo merely nodded.

“Does that mean ‘Yes, they won’t mind’?” Jennie’s tone was teasing and seductive and alluring.

The elevator doors opened and a family with three boisterous children stepped on. Jennie moved to stand next to Jisoo. Their bare arms were touching. Jisoo wanted to move her arm away, not because she wasn’t enjoying the sensation, but because she was enjoying it a little too much for a confined space. She was biting her bottom lip in an unconscious gesture to contain the soft moan she wanted to give. She could feel Jennie looking sideways at her, which wasn’t helping.

One of the kids shoved his sister and her small, round form barrelled into Jennie, pushing her even further against Jisoo. They were now resting against each other from knee to shoulder and Jisoo had to shut her eyes and turn her face towards the elevator wall to keep a check on herself.

“Apologise to the nice ladies,” the mother admonished.

“Sorry,” the little boy murmured shyly.

Jennie replied, “That’s okay, champ,” but Jisoo said nothing. She didn’t trust herself to do or say anything other than stare at the mark on the elevator wall where someone had used either a pocket knife or a car key to attempt to engrave some kind of message there.

Everyone exited the car at the lobby level and Jennie gave the kids a little wave goodbye. Jisoo remained silent and still could not bring herself to look at Jennie at all. She kept her eyes focused straight ahead and started out towards the long, wide hallway that led the function suites, feeling Jennie trailing along beside her. It wasn’t a short walk. The resort was capable of catering to several conferences at once and the function suites were spread over what seemed like hundred of thousands of square feet. They were about two-thirds of the way there when Jisoo felt a pull on her elbow. She stopped and turned to face the brunette.

“Um, look, Chu, is something wrong?” Jennie asked, her face full of concern. “Have I done something?”

She was aware that she had not said so much as a single sentence since Jennie had appeared in her suite. She knew that it probably seemed rude or odd, but she didn’t really know what to do about any of what she was feeling. She had never felt this way before. Looking at the brunette and seeing the confusion that she had caused, not to mention the fact that Jennie was blaming herself for Jisoo’s weird mood, made her feel like a self-centred idiot. Once again, she opened her mouth to explain herself, but she genuinely did not know what to say. She literally had no words to tell the other woman that she was quite the most beautiful thing that she had ever seen and that she was literally taken aback by her.

Acting on an instinct that she didn’t know she had, she stepped forward and awkwardly placed her lips against Jennie’s. The brunette gave a little startled noise which Jisoo found erotic. But, then, she was realising that she found everything about this woman to be erotic, especially when she felt Jennie slip her right arm around Jisoo’s waist to hold her in place against her. Their previous body contact in the elevator had been revelatory, but this was another magnitude of intensity.

Daring to be even bolder, Jisoo swept her tongue across Jennie’s bottom lip and felt the kiss deepen as the brunette opened her mouth to allow access. She felt her own hand come up to rest against the back of Jennie’s neck so that she could tilt the brunette’s head to the perfect angle, although she had yet to find an imperfect angle. She knew that her kiss was urgent and needy, but that was exactly how she felt. She felt Jennie’s other hand come up and rest in the middle of her back, her palm resting against Jisoo’s exposed skin. She grinned to herself because she could feel the slight tremor in Jennie’s hand that betrayed the fact that the other woman was at least somewhat as affected as she was by their kiss.

And, suddenly, she felt every bit of tension and fear ebb from her. She was kissing a girl and it was perfect. It wasn’t strange or frightening. It didn’t have that sense of being ‘other’ that she had always secretly feared. It was good and it was right. And it was mutual. That, she realised, was what had been missing from every physical relationship that she had had in the past: she had always been a reluctant participant and the balance between herself and whatever man she had been with had therefore been completely uneven. This was not that. This was two people giving and taking and receiving and enjoying on an equal footing.

As abruptly as she had started their kiss, she stopped, stepping back and letting the fingers of her hand trail from the back of Jennie’s neck and along her arm as they separated. Her skin was so soft, so incredible to the touch.

“I, uh, wow,” Jennie murmured softly, her tongue coming out to run along her bottom lip. Jisoo wondered if the brunette knew that she had done that or how sexy it looked. “So, you’re -”

“Much better now, thanks,” Jisoo finished, her voice finally returning to her. And she was. She felt entirely calm. Well, she felt entirely calm about being on a date with a girl. Her body was thrumming with pleasure at the kiss and with anticipation of what she hoped would be future pleasures yet to be discovered. “You ready for this?” she asked with a little smile. “I should probably warn you that, Soojoo aside, my friends aren’t exactly expecting me to show up with a date. My lack of dating has, in fact, been kind of legendary.”

“Oh, okay,” Jennie shrugged. “It’s not like there isn’t a certain amount of staring that goes with the territory when you bring a female date anyway.”

They turned and started walking slowly back towards the function suite, the faint noise of the band growing louder as they approached. Again letting her instincts guide her, she slipped her hand into the crook of Jennie’s arm.

“Yeah, about that, I, well, I wouldn’t actually know what that’s like.” She winced a little internally. She didn’t really want to have to admit that that she’d never dated a woman before, but she also didn’t think that it was fair to lead Jennie into a situation for which she was unprepared.

“You’ve never taken a female date to something like this before?”

“Um, not exactly. I’ve,” she paused and then said quickly, “never had a female date at all before.”

“Really?” Jennie didn’t look convinced.

“No, really.”

“Uh, okay.”

Jisoo was worried. “Is that a problem?”

“No, it’s just,” Jennie stopped again, taking a half-step back from Jisoo, and shrugged, “it never occurred to me that you weren’t -.” She looked like she was contemplating what to say next. “I mean, uh, we can go as just friends, if that’s what you’d prefer.”

Jisoo reached out and took Jennie’s hand in her own, rubbing her thumb across the back of Jennie’s knuckles as she had done to her only the day before in the bar. Since the kiss, she really did feel a lot more confident.

“I don’t know about you,” she began with a slow smile, “but I really don’t kiss my friends like that. Ever.”

Jennie’s face, which had been coloured by apprehension, lit up with a grin to match Jisoo’s own. “No,” she agreed, “that isn’t something I do with my friends either.”

“Good. Then we’re agreed that this is a proper date, then?”

“Yeah,” the brunette agreed softly. She took Jisoo’s hand and placed it back in the crook of her own and they started walking again. “Oh, just one thing, though,” she added as they approached the entrance to the wedding reception.

“What?”

Jennie flashed her a wicked grin and waggled her eyebrows suggestively. “If that’s the kiss you give before the first date, I can’t wait to see what you do when you drop me off later.”

* * *

They found themselves a table at the edge of the room, got a couple of drinks (non-alcoholic for Jisoo, as she wanted to keep her focus on her date without having to worry if alcohol was clouding her judgement) and even danced a little. As expected, the band was doing mostly covers of well-known pop hits from the 1950s to the present day. Soojoo came over and introduced herself to Jennie, saying how happy she was that Jisoo had brought her. The three of them chatted amiably for about ten minutes and Soojoo was no different than she ever had been with any of Jisoo’s previous male dates. In fact, she was so polite and almost unobtrusive in her conversation with them that Jisoo suspected that she would be subjected to an interrogation at a later date, probably after the honeymoon. But she appreciated how her best friend handled it as if it were the most natural thing in the world for Jisoo to have brought a woman to the wedding.

A couple of other people that she knew well dropped by the table. Jisoo made a point of introducing Jennie as her date, but no-one so much as raised an eyebrow. She suspected that it was because they were old family friends who had not read into the statement what Jisoo had intended. They probably just thought that Jisoo had brought a nice friend to keep her company. After all, why should they have thought any differently?

Wanting a chance to be alone with Jennie, away from the other guests if only for a few minutes, Jisoo suggested that they slipped outside. There was a doorway at the end of the function suite that led out to the grounds in back that she had seen from the terrace bar the previous evening. They had barely made it more than twenty yards outside when they were accosted by Rosé and Jungkook, who were evidently making their way back in.

“Oh my God! I really didn’t think I’d see you again,” she gushed to Jennie, ignoring Jisoo altogether. “This is totally amazing! What are you doing here anyway?” The brunette just looked from Jisoo to Rosé and then back again.

“Rosé, Jungkook, this is my date, Jennie Kim,” Jisoo introduced. “Jen, you’ve obviously met Rosé before and this is Jungkook, her long-suffering boyfriend.”

The slight Korean boy standing half-behind Rosé nodded his head amiably. “Good to meet you.”

“Likewise,” Jennie replied.

“So, really, how come you’re here?” Rosé asked Jennie.

Jisoo repeated evenly, “She’s my date. I invited her.”

“I didn’t think you two were actually friends.” She frowned as she gave Jisoo an accusatory stare. “You told me you hardly knew her.”

“She’s. My. Date.” This time, Jisoo reiterated it slowly and deliberately.

“Your date date?” Rosé retorted in a tone which implied that she found the idea only marginally less likely than Jisoo being named the new bassist for Radiohead or the next Nobel Laureate in Economics.

Jennie calmly reached her hand down to clasp Jisoo’s in her own, which caused Rosé’s mouth to open just a fraction. Jisoo, meanwhile, turned and gave her date a beaming smile of gratitude while Jungkook watched the action with a kind of stoic amusement.

“Yes, she’s my date date,” Jisoo confirmed.

“Like an actual date?” Rosé repeated again.

“Well, I have it on good authority that she doesn’t kiss her friends the way she kisses me,” Jennie deadpanned. Jungkook tactfully covered his snort of amusement with a cough as Jennie shared another look with Jisoo, wrinkling her nose at the red haired in a little smirk.

“No, I honestly don’t,” Jisoo agreed, her attention still on the brunette as the memory of the kiss in the hallway flooded through her mind.

“You kissed her?”

Jisoo smiled indulgently at her friend. “I heard that’s what you do on dates.” She was finding it hard to look at Jennie and talk about kissing without indulging in a repeat performance.

“But, Jisoo, she’s Jennie Kim and, you know, you’re not -”

“Babe, I think we should get back inside,” Jungkook hurriedly interrupted, placing his hand firmly on his girlfriend’s shoulder before she dug herself a deeper hole. “You promised me that dance.”

“Seriously? You don’t think this is more important?” Rosé replied.

“That Jisoo’s on a date? I’m pretty sure people go on dates all the time.”

“Yeah, but this is different, Jungkook.”

“It’s not really that different.”

“Do you even hear what you’re saying?”

“Do you hear what you sound like, babe? Do you really?” he countered quietly, but pointedly.

Jisoo wasn’t really listening to them anyway. She was looking at her date and thinking how lucky she was. She couldn’t stop herself from lifting her hand up to Jennie’s face and cupping her cheek with her palm. When Jennie tilted her head to press her cool skin more firmly against Jisoo’s hand, the urge that had been building in her became too great to resist and she leaned in. Her intention had been to just brush her lips across Jennie’s for a second or two, but then she saw the other girl’s eyes closing as they met in the middle and, suddenly, she didn’t care that they were standing in the grounds of the hotel, with her friends bickering next to them.

The touch of Jennie’s mouth to her own was all that mattered. She immediately did what she’d been thinking about for over an hour and nipped at Jennie’s full bottom lip with her teeth. The little groan that she was rewarded with spurred her on and she raised her other hand to the back of Jennie’s neck, massaging the skin gently with her fingertips. That was rapidly becoming her favourite place to touch Jennie. The way the brunette arched her body into her when she stroked her neck made it worthwhile. She felt surprisingly strong fingers – probably from playing guitar, she thought – grasp her waist and pull them even closer together as their kiss deepened further.

Everything around them faded to white noise as all she could hear was the murmuring sounds they were both making. She was aware of how perfectly they seemed to meld together, how their movements seemed completely in sync, how the kisses made her tremble all over. When she eventually pulled back and then rested her forehead against Jennie’s, the world came back into focus and she realised that Rosé and Jungkook were no longer standing there.

“I think they’ve gone,” she commented.

“Mmm,” Jennie agreed, rubbing their noses together in an Eskimo kiss. “Their loss.”

Jisoo chuckled. She took a step back before she forgot herself again and resumed kissing Jennie. “You know, I meant to say before that I think you look totally beautiful in that dress.”

Jennie took her hand again and started walking down the path that wound its way around the landscaped area. Jisoo squeezed the fingers intertwined with hers, loving the way their hands fit together.

“It’s okay,” Jennie murmured. “I kinda thought that’s what you were trying to say back in my room anyway.”

“Oh God,” she covered her face with her spare hand, “I must have looked like a complete and utter idiot.”

“Not even a little bit.”

“I’m not usually like that.”

“Seriously, it’s more than fine. I figured it was a compliment.”

“Oh, it definitely was.” Jisoo really had never seen anything quite like Jennie in that dress.

They walked silently for a few moments before Jennie asked, “Are you okay with all of this?”

“All of what?”

“Oh, you know, bringing me to the wedding. Kissing me in front of your friends. That sort of thing.” She sounded almost shy.

“I can honestly say that I am more than fine with kissing you.”

Jennie laughed. “Always good to know. It’s just that it’s all a pretty big deal.”

“Yeah, well, it’s turning out to be not as big a deal for me as I was worried it would be.” She hesitated. She didn’t want to scare Jennie away, but she wanted to continue being honest. “I think that the best way for me to think about things is that I really enjoy being with you and, seeing as you’re my date, that’s all that matters, right? And I think it’s going pretty well so far.”

“Yeah, I think so, too.” The brunette glanced in the direction of the function room. “We should probably get back inside.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah,” Jennie replied, “because if we stay out here, I’m gonna kiss you again and then we’ll miss the second set from that awesome band and your friends leaving for their honeymoon.”

Jisoo chuckled. “I don’t think Soojoo would ever forgive me,” she conceded. “I might be able to live with that, though, if I got to have my way with you in the bushes in compensation.” She flashed a suggestive grin in Jennie’s direction.

“Why, Jisoo Kim, you are full of surprises!”

“I could definitely say the same thing about you.”

* *©Devje* *