Chapter 4

Chapter 4
* * * * *

The wedding had been beautiful. Perhaps she was biased, but Jisoo thought it had been especially so, even by the standard of other weddings she had attended. She had cried copiously and she wasn't ashamed of that fact. She had noticed that even Jinhoo's eyes had been glistening as his new bride took her vows.

The initial part of the reception had been a bit of a blur: there had been the meal and the speeches to consume everyone's mind. Jinhoo's best man, Gary, had given a remarkably restrained speech which had been touching and sentimental, not the machismo-laden effort that one might have expected from a military man. Frank and Nancy had broken with tradition and had given a combined 'parents of the bride' speech and, to keep order, Jewel had been invited to give a 'mother of the groom' speech. Then there had been the dances: bride and groom; bride and bride's father; groom and his mother; Maid of Honour and Best Man. Gary had continued to surprise by turning out to be an excellent dancer with good frame and hold, guiding her securely for the duration of their waltz.

As soon as she got the chance to check her phone without appearing rude, though, Jisoo looked to see if Jennie had been in touch again. She had. They had already been in text conversation while Jisoo had been at the hair salon that morning and Jisoo knew that the brunette was off helping her friend from high school by appearing on a local radio show with him to get some publicity for his band. She was more than pleased that Jennie had found the time to send her messages of support. A couple of them were generic - hope everything's going okay - but the most recent one had asked for a photo of Jisoo in her dress cos I bet you look incredible. That made her blush just reading it.

As a member of the formal wedding party, Jisoo had been seated at the top table, but far enough away from Soojoo that the two had hardly spoken since the start of the ceremony. She was more than a bit startled, therefore, when her best friend suddenly appeared over her shoulder, reading her text response from her screen.

"I bet you say that to all the girls?" Soojoo quoted, her voice dripping with amusement. "Has little Jisoo Kim found herself a secret love?"

"Jesus, you scared me!" Jisoo blushed and hit the screen to send the message. There was, after all, no point in trying to hide what she was doing when Soojoo had already seen the whole thing.

"Who's your mystery date, Chu? Why didn't you bring him as your plus-one?" Soojoo sat down in the chair next to Jisoo, which had been recently vacated by one of the groomsmen.

"Not a mystery date, just a friend," she muttered. "A female friend." It was the truth, but given in such a way as to imply that her reply had been as a joke between friends and not the mild flirtation that it actually was.

Soojoo looked around for a drinks server and indicated to one to come over. "More champagne?" she offered Jisoo as the young man approached with a tray of glasses.

"No, I'm fine."

"So, who's your friend?" Soojoo pressed, not letting the matter drop.

"Just that girl who helped me out in the hotel bar yesterday. You know, the one I mentioned to you."

"Ahh."

Between the tone and the grin that Soojoo was giving her, Jisoo knew that 'Ahh' didn't just mean 'Ahh'. Soojoo had a way of taking a single syllable and turning it into a well-ordered argument with just a curl of her lip and a tilt of her head.

"What do you mean 'Ahh'?"

"Just what I said. Ahh."

Jisoo made a brief noise of frustration at her best friend's obfuscation as she felt her phone vibrate in her hand, no doubt with Jennie's reply to her text. She desperately wanted to know what it said, but she didn't want to let Soojoo see it.