SCREAMS

Shouting. Crying. Cursing. Screaming. Banging. Crashing. Sobbing. This was mum and dad.

Whimpering. Shivering. Sobbing. Hugging. Covering our ears. This was Thomas and me.

Every night. Thomas creeping into my bed and huddling close to me, us both burying our faces in our pillows in an attempt to puncture the noise. The noise that roared to a crescendo every night. The noise that haunted our dreams.

Thomas was always the more timid twin, with his widened blue eyes and and fringed blonde hair. Thomas who hadn't talked since the conflicts started. Thomas who only made noise when he crouched next to me at night. I hated my parents for making him like this. He once told me he felt safest when a cuddled him. A memory flashes. Thomas, lying on the ground. Me, shaking him desperately while cruel and sharp jeers surrounded us. Me, shouting, hot tears of anger streaming down my face, blinding me. Pulling Thomas onto my bike, speeding away. Thomas, in hospital, swamped in beeping, metal machines.

Long ago, that was. I prefer not to think about it. Thomas's hair is scruffy from sleep and his breathing is hitched and disturbed. I know why. The same thing happens to me. Thomas has only ever had me. Or rather, been a part of me. I am him. He is me. I am his smile, because Thomas hasn't smiled since the conflicts. I am his voice. His brain. Without me he would be a shell, he told me, again, long, long ago. I need him at the same time. Without each other we would not exist.