35.

♐ ♐ ♐ ♐ ♐ ♐ ♐ ♐ ♐

THIRTY FIVE.

        "There is a quote by an anonymous writer that says, "'When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home.'

        "The quote is explaining that simply letting the person reading know that wishing you had more time, or had lived your life differently, is not the way to go. Die a hero, and die a person who people will remember twenty years from now."

        "And Matt? Do you think he died wishing he had more time?" 

        Sage's hand fell flat on her knee and she stared up at the counselor, her eyebrows raised up to her hairline at such a question. "I think he died wishing he had more time to kill people, and more time to prove that he was just a complete psychopath obsessing over a fake relationship with me." 

        "How does that make you feel?" Morrell asked, her hands folded over the desk as she watched the blonde teenager for any ticks. Sage's lip twitched into a frown and she shifted uncomfortably in her chair. After being shot, Matt had ended up dragging all of them to the Sheriff's office where it was then discovered he was turning into the Kanima because he was killing instead of letting Jackson due the dirty job for him. From there, with Stiles and Derek still paralyzed on the floor, Sage and Scott were forced to relocate as they got an abrupt meeting from the Argent's. 

        One of them being a certain brunette that just lost her mom. Allison had showed up, her and her dad on their mission at first to try and kill Derek only to be side-tracked when they realized the Kanima was actually in the building as well. This lead to a lot of rounds being fired, another paralyzed teenager, and Matt's ultimate doom. 

        Sage didn't remember much, it was like seeing red. All blurry and out of focus. "Uh..." The blonde hesitated on her words, feeling a lump form in her throat. "I know it sounds weird, it probably sounds insane, but I don't feel bad for him. I mean, he killed all of those people and he had no remorse towards it. But at the same time, I'm just thinking about how he felt." 

        "It's called empathy," Morrell explained, to which Sage snorted and ran her hands through her hair. "It's not a bad thing to have, Sage. You and your friends have been through a lot in the past year, you've seen things that can change your perspective. Being empathetic could keep you from..." She paused like she was trying to find the correct word. 

        "Breaking?" Sage asked. She didn't want to admit how extremely shaken up she was about the whole thing. A part of her didn't enjoy having so much confliction towards the topic, she wished she could just be like Stiles and say the boy deserved it but she didn't necessary feel that way. He had a reason for killing them, he had a purpose. It didn't make things right, of course not, but Sage couldn't help but believe if she were put in a situation where she were killing people, she would pray that someone could understand why she did it. 

        Morrell gave a sad smile. "Yes, to keep you from breaking. Matt was breaking, there was nothing that could have been done to save him. He didn't feel things the way you do, Sage. I see you in the hallways, you know? Never once have you been alone, there is always someone with you." 

        "That's what having friends is like," Sage deadpanned. 

        "Not just that." Morrell shook her head and leaned back into her chair. "It's like they gravitate towards you. Like a safety net, ready to catch them when they fall. I believe a few months ago when Lydia Martin was in the hospital, you refused to leave her side—"