Chapter 1

Hocus Pocus Book

Chapter 1

            I've never met my mother, or at least not until two months ago. My mother died just a few hours after I was born. She was hanged by the local villagers along with her two sisters, Sarah and Mary, on October 31st 1693. Before I get into details about why she was hanged let me tell you what she is. My mother is a witch. She was one of the greatest witches to ever live. She had hair as red as fire, a large nose, eyes of a (haven’t figured out a word yet. Bare with me.) and two bucked front teeth. She was a pretty ugly woman, but don't ever say that to her face. She's very sensitive when it comes to that and the result won't be pretty for you. Her two sisters were the most mindless and unintelligent witches in history. Sarah, who is known for her obsession with boys, was the prettiest of the three. She had long beautiful blonde hair, big brown eyes and a voice that would put anyone under her control of they heard her sing. She was like a siren, except she used her power to lure children to her except for men which was ironic since she had an obsession with men. Her voice was the only thing that made my mother not abandon her. My mother was the type to use people if they had something that would get her to where she wanted to be. My mother was also a very jealous person. She once caught her sister sleeping with her boyfriend Billy, a zombie. She claimed that Sarah seduced him and that's why he did what he did. Of course she wasn't going to let that go. So what did she do? She sewed his mouth shut with a dull needle. Her sister Mary had the power to sniff out anything like a dog can. My mother never really cared for her sisters, but she knew she couldn't retain her eternal beauty without their help. My mother's goal was to drain the life force out of every child in Salem so she could have eternal beauty and live forever.

            Just before dusk on October 31st, 1693 my mother sent Sarah to lure a child back to the cottage. Sarah returned later with a child, but little did they know that the kid's brother was following them. His name was Thackery Binx and his sister's name was Emily Binx. When Sarah and Emily walked into the cottage she sat Emily down in a chair against the wall. My mother was reading her "recipe" book that the devil had given to her. She had the page open to the potion recipe to drain the life force out of someone. She was giving orders to Mary telling her which ingredients to get next. Sarah was jumping around doing God knows what. Thackery had climbed into the cottage through a window. He managed to get onto the second floor and lied there and watched. Once the potion was ready they dipped a giant spoon into it and walked over to Emily. They told her to open her mouth and she did. Before she could drink the potion Thackery jumped off from where he was hiding and shouted "NO!" Sarah and Mary tried to grab him, but he dodged them. He managed to get over to the cauldron and pour the potion on Sarah and Mary. Unfortunately, Emily drank the potion in the midst of everything that was happening. Once Mary managed to get up she realized Emily drank the potion.

"Winnie.....Winnie! Look!" Mary said as she pointed to Emily.

"Marvelous!" She said.

            They walked over there and within three breathes they had drained the life out of her. Once Emily was dead and they transformed, Sarah exclaimed

"I am beautiful! Boys will love me!"

"We're young!" Mary said.

"Well....younger, but it's a start!" My mother said.

            They all laughed and cackled and danced around in a circle of joy. Thackery got up from where he was sitting and exclaimed,

"You hag. There are not enough children in the world to make thee young and beautiful!"

            And just like that my mother wanted him dead or punished. I told you she hated it if you called her something like a hag, even though she is one. She called her book and it floated in midair. Once she had it she opened it and looked through it to see what she could come up with. Beads of sweat were now starting to form on Thackery's face. You could see the fear in his eyes. After a few moments she came up with the perfect punishment. She figured since Thackery was there to witness his sister's death and he failed trying to save her, he would have to live forever with that. So she turned him into a cat with this spell:

                                    Twist the bones and bend the back

                                    Trim him of his baby fat

                                    Give him fur as black as black

                                    Just.....Like.....This.....

            Once he was a cat they all laughed. All of a sudden there was banging on the door. The villagers found out Emily and Thackery were missing thanks to Thackery's friend Elijah. My mother and her sisters acted like they didn't know what they were talking about. They kept beating on the doors and windows until someone busted the door down. They grabbed my mother and her sisters and took them outside to be hanged. It was a battle to get their hands tied behind their backs, but they did it. Once they put them in the ropes to be hanged Thackery's father asked Winnie where Thackery was. Of course my mother wasn't going to tell him. She decided to make a smart aleck comment and say,

"Well I don't know. Cat's got my tongue."

            The witches laughed and then they all started singing. Someone threw Winifred's book on the ground and it opened to a page that said they would return when a virgin lights the black flamed candle on All Hallows Eve during a full moon. Thackery's father had heard enough and he signaled for them to kick the barrels from under the witches’ feet.

            Thackery watched from a rock he was sitting on. He watched his friends and family leave not knowing that there was a surprise in store for him back at the cottage.