6th Grade

Lucas is quite possibly the most frustrating person to text that you've ever known in your entire existence on Earth. In the time since him finally getting a cellphone from his parents until the second you're in, you have read the word "what" spelled "wut" at least forty times. The same applies to "you" becoming "u" and the awful use of 'r' for 'are' and you love Lucas, you really do, and he's your best friend but if he texts you that he's "goin 2 b late 4 slpover" one more time you're going to cancel it altogether.

You don't understand it. You are both twelve, though he is on the younger side, and you both are soon to be teenagers, which means that you two should be able to use simple grammar. You were both placed in the same double honors English class and you watched him get back his flawless language arts quiz like last week and it's so...infuriating.

As if you signaled it, your phone buzzes with another notification telling you that he sent another message. Again. With the same spelling errors.

Lucas Joseph Friar, if you do not text me using proper English I am never going to talk to you again.

You groan as you see his response pop up.

Maya Papaya! chill out! XDDDDDDD

Lucas. I will delete your number.

U wont cuz u luv me

I will burn all of your baseball cards. Right now, don't test me.

Okay, okay, I'm sorry.

You let out a short breath at actual words that are in the dictionary, though, you have to remind yourself how hard Lucas can be on himself and how he would probably take this as you being annoyed with him as a whole instead of just the texting thing, which you don't want because you hate when he feels bad. Being his best friend for the year leading had trained your mind to be cautious around Lucas's places of insecurity, reassuring him that he is not as poorly standing as he imagines.

I'm sorry, too. It's just frustrating. It's like having to translate languages with your texts and I'm probably overreacting.

The stubborn part of your mind tells you that you are not overreacting, but you know you are. Sixth graders or not, being anal about grammar used while texting probably isn't something to break prized possessions over.

No, it's alright. I prefer your voice anyways. It's way better than staring at a screen.

You smile and your face burns as you read his message. He compliments you a lot and each time your reaction remains the same; blushing cheeks, stupid grin, flipping stomach. These symptoms go nowhere as a picture of Lucas wearing his cowboy pajamas while tiredly dozing off into his bowl of cereal lights up your screen. The name 'Bull Dozer' flashes above the photo which makes you laugh, even three months after you made the joke about him falling asleep into his bowl of Frosted Flakes.

"Why hello there, Sleeping Beauty."

He chuckles under his breath before he responds to you. "Oh shut up. I can hear the smile in your voice about your stupid joke."

"It's a good joke."

"It's a stupid joke." He's smiling and he's rolling his eyes. You can't see it but you know; you can just tell.

"You're a stupid joke."

He now full on laughs and you think that he has one of the best laughs you've ever heard. "Maya, you are such a loser."

"And you're my best friend so what does that say about you?"

"It says that I'm a kind and sweet soul who befriended the lamest girl in school." You smile because he's joking and you begin to walk to unlock your front door. "I'm on my way."