3 A Broken Little Female - Sample Chapter

Start from the beginning

Ezra sinks into the tub, the warm, fragrant water lapping over my sore body. More water is poured over my head while I gasp for precious oxygen.

"Rhet, we need you in here!" Thjis bellows out.

Rhet is there a moment later, swearing up and down. I go still, shrinking back from the dominant male. He's too dangerous for me. Dominant males don't like me. They hurt me.

"Lyri," he crouches down next to Thjis and captures my chin in his hand, "let Thjis bathe you. It will help you heal. Stop struggling."

My body goes lax at the commands. What else can I do? My she-wolf cowers, her ears laid flat against her head as she tries to make herself as small and unassuming as possible.

Thjis captures my attention when he starts to scrub my hair. I look at the hard planes of his face while I plead with him silently to take me back to the bed and leave me there. He ignores me, his face set in a deep scowl as he quickly washes me with the odd-smelling soap and water.

"Done," he announces, standing up and grabbing a big towel. He stands and takes me from the bath and swiftly into the bedroom.

"Almost done, sweetheart." Ezra races to change the sheets, whisking away the soiled ones without looking at me once. Carefully, Thjis places me down on the bed. I reach for the new blankets to pull over myself, but his hands stop me.

"I have to put the catheter back in, OK? Just one minute then you can eat and sleep." He rips open a bag and takes out the paraphernalia that lets me pee without soiling myself or the bedding. I close my eyes, letting him open my thighs.

The harsh sound of male breathing makes me quiver. I can feel the anger in the room rising like a stormcloud. Tears seep out of my closed eyelids, the warmth a stark contrast to how cold my skin feels.

"All done," Thjis says quietly. He pulls the blankets over me, giving me back my cocoon.

"Sit her up," Rhet says in a raspy voice. "I'll dry her hair."

Thjis pauses, his dark eyes meet mine. I wonder what he sees in them. Setting his jaw he nods and rearranges me. "I'll be back in a minute," he states.

I watch him leave, preferring Thjis' back over looking into Rhet's blue-eyes. What is it about this male that terrifies me so much?

He sits next to me, the bed dipping under his weight. I try desperately to distract myself.

What would it be like to be unafraid of a male's weight next to me?

No, think of something else. Not his warmth, his strength, his hands taking my hair and gently pulling it from behind me to dry the ends. Think of the sun, of that warmth, of that strength. A giant fireball in the sky that we forget about until it's blocked by the clouds. A force that could destroy us all but instead protects and feeds us energy. Like the ultimate alpha, fierce and nourishing. Nothing like the Moon, closer to us than the sun, but so cold and remote.

"All done," Rhet says softly. "Sleep, little Lyri."

I squeeze my eyes shut obediently, but I don't fall asleep for a long, long time.

---

Rhet

Thjis is leaning against the wall outside her door, his pants and shirt still soaking wet. Head bowed, he looks defeated.

"I didn't know it was that bad," I mutter to him. He just nods his head once, letting his chin fall to chest again. "Sorry. I know you've been doing everything for her. I'm sorry to heap this one on you."