Chapter 11 - Michael

Start from the beginning

Whoa! Is this really the same sweet and innocent Sadie that I met at the beginning of the week?

"Who are you and what have you done to my friend?"

She laughs loudly. "Oh this is going to be fun!"

"What is?"

"You and I being best friends."

For a second, I think my ears ring with shock. Did she really just call me that?

"Is that what we are?"

"Not completely yet, but we will be," she swears, winking. "I can tell. I have a sixth sense about these things."

Ignoring the joke, I blink at her a couple of times. "Won't it bother your boyfriend that you have a guy best friend?"

She sighs at the mention of his name. "I love Cade," she says dreamily, although there's still a rebuttal in her voice. "But he doesn't control me. He knows that he can trust me, even if he gets jealous. Besides, you're not really my type."

I grin. "Good, 'cause you're not my type either."

She cocks one hip to the side and jabs her fist over it. "Are you saying I'm not good enough for you?"

I pretend to study her from head to toe and then shrug. "Meh, I could do a whole lot better."

She throws her head back and laughs. Then she grabs my arm and starts to drag me out of the kitchen. "Come on, let's go. I need to have a drink in my hand."

The first drink Sadie has is a punch. By the smell of it, I'm guessing there's some vodka in there. She introduces me to some of the pack members as we walk around and strikes up conversation with a few of them while I stand awkwardly to the side.

Music is blasting from all around me and basically making my ears bleed. I don't know whatever song is playing, but I don't care to know, for once. I'm not really having a great time. Sadie is much too friendly to hang out with one person all night, regardless of her initial complaints when she begged me to come, so I am forced to sit back a lot and watch her interact with people I have zero interest in talking to.

Sometime after that, I see two of my brothers; Nate is dirty dancing with a blonde girl and Connor is sitting on the couch next to a short red-head. They seem to be having a very serious conversation. The very fact that he's sitting down instead of dancing just proves to me that he really does care about what's-her-face.

Sadie then drags me to the keg and pours herself a drink. Time passes and she starts moving with the music. Then she has another. Then another. Before I know it, she forces me onto the dance floor, giggling like crazy. It doesn't take a genius to see that she's a little more than just tipsy. I wonder again what's so important that Cade left her alone at a party.

After a couple of minutes, as Sadie dances around next to me, I see him coming through the front door with Logan. I wave around to catch his attention. When they see me, the two of them walk over.

"How many drinks did she have?" he yells when he sees his mate, for once not the least bit hostile.

"Enough that you should get her out of here," I yell back.

He nods and grabs her arm. She stops dancing and looks up at him, her face immediately lighting up. "Cadey!" she squeals and throws her arms around his neck. "You're here!"

"Come on, Sade, let's go somewhere more quiet," he tells her.

He puts his arm around her waist and leads her away. I'm left standing there with Logan, who is staring at me like he's expecting me to start dancing. It's too awkward for me, so I decide to walk around and find something to do.