Minho

     He suspected something, though. Evan could tell by the way he looked at her and continuously asked if she was okay. He was wondering why she was so invested in becoming a higher rank all of a sudden.

     Garek knew Evan all too well. It was only a matter of time before he figured out what she was up to. Especially when she would ask him today if he was up for another trip to the library.

     There was only one reason why Evan wanted to go there anymore and it had nothing to do with researching fighting techniques and tips on handling weapons. Garek knew this.

     When she would ask him, paired with the frequent trips to the top of the wall with binoculars and a map, Garek will figure out what she was up to. It was just not clear whether he would hate her for not telling him.

     Sighing, Evan pulled her hair back in a low ponytail. She splashed water in her face and readied herself to play the dutiful and loyal guard for another day. It would all be worth it, though. It would be once she found who she was looking for.

     There was a knock on her door. Evan took a deep breath.

     "Five minutes, miss."

     Evan didn't comment on the 'miss' anymore. She had taken on the role and she would play it well. Opening the door, she stepped out of her room, mustering up all the arrogance she could. Sometimes it scared her how easily she slipped into this character. The other guard tried to hide her disdain. Evan smiled sickly sweet.

     "Show the way," she said, pointing down the hall. The guard suppressed a huff. Evan pushed down the urge to say sorry, to take it back. 

     It was because of this recent behavior that Janson promoted her, seeing her potential in becoming a leader to more than small squads. Evan had taken it immediately. She couldn't waste another day. It had been the only time Janson paid close enough attention to see the change.

     Garek was waiting in the lobby. He was leaning against a wall, staring at his shoes. His arms were crossed over his chest and he had a frown on his face. He looked up when Evan approached him. There was no smile, no joke or boyishly winking. Evan swallowed thickly.

     She knew then and there that Garek had figured it out. Even before she had asked him to join her in the library. He had figured out everything and he didn't look too pleased about not having been informed sooner.

     Suppressing the guilt for now, Evan dismissed the other guard and walked over to him alone. Garek didn't move. For some reason, it unnerved Evanna even more.

     "Hi," she said, somewhat awkwardly.

     Garek raised a brow. "Hi? That's all you have to say to me?"

     "Lovely weather we're having?"

     Minho

     Minho

     Rolling his eyes, he scoffed and shook his head. Evan hid her shaking hands in the pockets of her pants. She had to maintain a reputation. One she disliked herself for, but she could never tell if someone was watching her. If someone reported back to Janson that his new favorite guard had any weakness at all, she would be back to protecting officials.

     "When did you plan on telling me?" Garek asked. He kept his voice low, barely above a whisper. But even then, Evan could hear the hurt clear as day.

     Minho

     I'm sorry

     Evan inhaled sharply. She couldn't do this. Not here. Not in the building where she felt like everyone was watching her.