five.

smoke & mirrors

◤five◥

___________

___________

     She had become a star student.

     Janson had started giving Evanna jobs that required more than just protecting officials or people from the council. In fact, he had given her more jobs in general, as well as more responsibility. He granted her her own permanent team. People of which he said she could rely on no matter what.

     Evan had given only one condition when Janson offered her the promotion; Garek goes with her. She didn't care that he was not yet on the same level as the guards overseeing the border. But it was simple: where she went, Garek followed. Evan made sure of it.

     Janson complied easily. Evanna guessed he was probably just relieved that that had been her only request. It was easy enough. All he had to do was transfer Garek to a different Unit. Evan's Unit.

     Staring at herself in the mirror, Evan gently poked her forehead, as if the simple act would revive all her lost memories. Unsurprisingly, nothing happened. All she felt was her finger prodding her skin. She locked eyes with herself and saw something she hadn't seen since she arrived at the WICKED facility; determination.

     Evan had yet to tell anyone about what she remembered. She would repeat Minho's name in her head every so often. Just to be sure it would not leave her again, she had written his name in a notebook over and over again. She had described him as a friend. As someone who didn't trust her at first, but ended up saving her life when a something had exploded.

     Where had that happened?

     Minho

     Evan shook her head and gripped the sink tightly. Garek didn't know either. She hadn't told him. Evan wasn't sure if she wanted to tell him. He had a heart of gold, but couldn't lie to save his life. There was a chance he would break if Janson interrogated him about Evanna's recent odd behavior.

     But then, Janson had been so busy lately. Way too busy to notice Evan's change in demeanor. He hadn't even questioned the complete 180 she had done after the meeting. He mostly figured it was because of what she had heard, had seen, and how she had agreed with it.

     So she had come up with a plan.

     Evanna had worked and trained hard for days on end, taking jobs and fulfilling tasks no one else would. Eventually she became the best of the best, and Janson had rewarded her with more higher-ranking jobs and responsibility. He had given her a way to the city outside. He had given her a way to find someone who was surely able to help her with her memories.

     She should tell Garek that, too, but she hadn't. Evan didn't know whether to feel guilty or not. Garek had helped her so much, had done so much. He was the only one there for her, trying to understand what she was going through and not making fun of her for it. And yet she had told him nothing.