90 days to live - Chapter 20

Zacznij od początku

"Quick." Jared says.

"Don't touch her." Iron yells, kicking his legs back into Jared.

I slide my arm underneath Ally's back, and pull her up to sitting position. I flinch at the feel of her shoulder blades jutting into the skin of my forearm. Reaching my arm all the way around her shoulder, I push down on her bottom lip to open her mouth.

"No!" Iron roars as I bite the stopper out of the Vial with my teeth.

"Lara, I can't hold him." Jared cries.

"Let her go." Iron yells.

I balance the Vial against her lips, allowing it slide back along her throat. I hear Jared's call before I feel the full impact of Iron's weight crush against me. He throws me against the floor, sending me sliding along the slippery tiles in a crumpled heap. Ignoring the slight throbbing my legs took from the fall, I stand and draw my sword; ready to protect myself.

Jared moves to my side, holding my shoulder while checking for injury. Iron stands defensively in front of Ally's bed, snarling at us. He's reminds me of a wolf protecting his mate.

"Don't come near her." He hisses primally.

I nod. I've done all I can for her. Now all we can do is wait to see the Vial play its part. My earlier distress is lessened by the fact that she swallowed the Vial.

My heart spikes suddenly. Not because there is any difference in Ally's condition, but because the flashing siren on the wall sounds. It is the first time it has been used here. The emergency siren is not a practice or a drill, it means that the climax has been reached. I silently pray that the event is not too major or urgent.

The door opens and John, followed by Zena dart into the room. From Zena's expression, I can tell something is wrong. She is always calm, no matter what the situation. For her to appear flustered is unnerving. John on the other hand appears petrified.

"What is happening?" I breathe heavily, gripping Jared's hand and my dagger.

"We're under attack." Zena grimaces.

My fists clench.

"Stats?" I ask hurriedly. Jared tenses beside me. 

"We're looking at a couple of thousand and they're teleporting in by the second. The emergency alarm has been sounded. Kyle has ordered to move Warriors into the Block as fast as we can. Anyone qualified from the age of 16 and up has been conscripted."

"16? That is barbaric." I exclaim. That would have been my younger sister fighting down there.

"Lara this is a war - we don't have a choice." Zena replies sadly.

"Where is Kyle?" I enquire.

"He moved in with the first group." John replies. "He came and found me. Just after he ordered me to return to my office, he received confirmation of their arrival."