Chapter 2 - The Ultramarines

It seems that during the time the Swift Hunter had spent encased in the warp, several days had passed, meaning that the Ultramarines were several days too late. Even at a glance, from the orbit of the planet, the total destruction of the world was visible. Entire continents were in flames. Oceans poisoned to crimson. Even the very air itself had turned grey from the continuous conflict. On the bridge of the Swift Hunter, Raduriel Aberec stood frozen, staring into the fractured world. Aberec continued this pointless mourn until Sergeant Tius called out to him. 'Brother?' He asked 'What are your orders?' Aberec had to ask himself that question before he could answer his Sergeant. Also present on the ship's bridge were several Tech Priests and engineers, the ones responsible for maintaining primary functions of the vessel. Then there were Aberec's battle-brothers. His proud warriors, clad in the armor of Maccrage. Each Space Marine stood under the same banner and wore the same blue plate. The Sergeants of his company were standing at attention, their red helms tucked beneath their arms. Although not of rank, Veteran Garrus Adonato was privileged with the honor of being aboard the bridge. Adonato remained in his bright white, beaked helmet to soothe the pain of his mutilated facial features which he had suffered during his centuries of service in the Emperor's name. That was why Adonato disliked the entirety of the Ultramarines aboard the Swift Hunter. They were not veterans. Other than Adonato, the Space Marines aboard the ship were all newly forged Primaris Space Marines. These soldiers were larger, faster, stronger and deadlier and arguably saved the Imperium from total defeat. But the veteran cared not of the specifications of these soldiers. They were granted full control of the mission despite the lack of experience of doing so. As much as Adonato wanted to shout out and assert his dominance; he knew he couldn't. All he could do was continue serving his Emperor, no matter who ordered him to do so.'Lieutenant, what are your orders?' Sargent Tius asked again. Aberec murmured under him breathe and finally answered his men. 'I mean not to state the obvious, but the planet is lost' There was a long silence after the Lieutenant spoke. 'I suggest we leave the system immediately, there is nothing more we can do here' It pained Aberec to say this, it went against every oath that he stood for. Another one of the Sargents from the Demi Company interjected 'I agree, we are at overwhelming odds trying to fight this battle.' Several of the Ultramarines nodded to this statement. 'Besides; even if anyone is alive down there, who says they are worth saving?' Adonato asked, rhetorically. That angered Tius greatly. 'Who are you to declare who is worthy or not!' shouted back Tius. Adonato was set back by this sudden outroar. Even Aberec turned from his viewing port to stare down the Sergeant. 'You would waste your brother's precious lives to save these futile beings?' snapped back Adonato.Tius barked back 'Saving the Emperor's Imperium is no waste of our lives. Perhaps you have been falsely informed in the ways of the Indomimus Crusade' Adonato instinctively reached for the bolt pistol holstered by his side. 'Both of you enough!' Commanded the Lieutenant. His voice was strong enough to paralyze the two Marines. Every head in the room was aimed at Aberec, cautiously waiting for what he will shout next. But before he continued, the onboard vox systems crackled to life.

The garbled message came through the built-in speakers, barely audible over the static also being emitted. 'This is Officer Keller of the Loki Regiment, Madrinal, we are under siege does anybody read me?' There was a brief pause that was interrupted by a furious explosion that sounded too close for comfort. 'We have thousands of innocents guarded in the Captial city but we can't hold them off for much longer. Please in the Emperor's name someone help us!' All of a sudden the signal went silent. Every soul on the bridge stood frozen. 'Lieutenant, if those civilians are still surviving down in that hell, we can't leave them' Tius said softly.'You are right Sergeant however there is no more we can do. Perhaps with the full force of the Crusade will we be able to defend this planet. But not on our own.' Aberec said back. Adonato almost seemed pleased with the news. ' Shipmaster, begin recycling the engines and get us the away from this damned world.' Ordered Aberec. 'All hands prepare for immediate warp transit, we are returning to Maccrage.' Bodies started shuffling and speeding away to various different computers and consoles. Aberec turned back to his viewing port as the ship began shaking and awakening. The lifeless black void that surrounded the planet seemed empty; until Aberec caught a glimpse of terror. Black and gold daggers of war sped towards the Silent Hunter. Multiple cannons of various size and strength lined the hull of each vessel. Aberec counted four escort ships and a much larger battleship in the center of the formation. 'Ultramarines! The enemy is upon us!' Aberec shouted over the ship-wide vox. His voice rung through each room and corridor within the Swift Hunter and every crewman onboard heard the Lieutenant's words. 'Our engines are still cycling to full power my Lord' Whined one of the tech-priests stationed on the bridge. 'How long until they are ready?' Aberec asked calmly, despite the battle beginning to unfold. Before the tech-priest could answer, the Swift Hunter violently shook to its core. Beams of pure light pierced through the skin of the Ultramarine's vessel. The Swift Hunter then shook again, accompanied by the sound of alarms ringing through the bridge. Several lights across the tech priest's command console shifted from green to red, signifying the destruction of the Swift Hunter's power core. Aberec and his crew now stood in darkness and the alarms abruptly stopped chiming. 'Do we still have vox?' Questioned Aberec. 'Negative my lord, but we shall begin rerouting secondary power to the engine'- The tech-priest was suddenly cut off once again by another blast into the Swift Hunter. 'Ship Master I want us out of here!' ordered Aberec. 'Engines are completely lost my lord, lower engine decks have been compromised and are currently being sealed.' Replied the Ship Master from the other side of the bridge. Sergeant Tius felt futile in the midst of void combat, all he wanted to do was fight. And the fight was surely coming.