Chapter 14: Avril the History Repeater

Teddy's P.O.V

Shelby is still missing. She has been for several months. No one, not even the police have found a trace of her. Looks like Avril got off scot-free again, making my girlfriend mysteriously vanish from the Earth.

And so have I in a way...

Well at least from school. Ever since Shelby disappeared and I was dejectedly relinquished to my parents, I've refused to return to school. Nathan soon did the same, claiming that "the vibe" just feels different without Shelbs or me around. In some regards, it was a good move too because soon there were rumors of more students going missing.

Besides Nathan, Shelby, and I, there have been a report of seven other students who haven't been coming to school. I'm not too sure on the details because I don't really care. All I want to hear about are Shelby's whereabouts.

She has been gone for so long that she will now be missing graduation. I would have as well but Nathan convinces me to break my excuse of "late onset of senioritis" and get that diploma. I'm surprised. I never thought Nathan would be the one to convince me to come back to school. But I guess someone had to since my parents gave up and so had Reizo. Speaking of Rei... Where is he? I haven't heard or seen him since he gave up coaxing me back to school. I wonder what he-

"Teddy!" Nathan stirs me from my thoughts.

I nonchalantly reply, "What?" I shrug my shoulders while tightening my black tie.

"Are you excited?" He asks, adjusting his signature "gangster" cap. I don't really know why he's wearing that when he knows the teachers are not going to allow him to wear that even if he's graduating.

"For what?" I sigh, flicking off miniscule piece of lint off my suit jacket, attempting to keep myself entertained while we navigate hallways toward the pre-graduation meet-up point.

"For graduatin', dumbass. You know tonight is our big night where we say sayonara and fuck off to this place and everyone in it."

"Oh. It is? I didn't know." I say, sarcasm naturally oozing out of me.

He roughly punches me in the shoulder and playfully clobbers the back of my head. "You know you don't have to make up for Reizo being here by being a sarcastic prick. I'm just trying to cheer you up and get you to... you know... think about other things."

I force a chuckle. "I know and thanks. It's just... It's hard... And I thought-"

He puts his hand up in a "say no more" gesture. Then he slings an arm across my shoulders. "Say no more, buddy. Tonight we are going to enjoy ourselves and drink away our problem! Parents aren't home and I happen to know where they keep the liquor."

I am about to pull another Reizo, ridiculing another one of Nathan's notoriously bad suggestions, but a sudden whiff of something foul sends me gagging. We both stop, Nathan soon smelling the same horrid stink. He rips off his hat to shield his nostrils. I am tempted to snatch his hat to block my own, but I just put my hands to my nose. Though it smells bad, luckily it isn't strong enough to penetrate through my guard.

"What da fuck is that?!" curses muffled Nathan.

I take a couple paces forward, remove my hands to take a quick sniff of the air, and immediately replace them. "Smells like iron but goddamn it's strong.

He reaches me and does the same motion with his hat. "Smells like its coming from where we goin'. Let's move and see if the others are smellin' the same."

He starts moving again while I stand frozen at the proposal. I want to run. But I decide not to because I can't leave Nathan alone to brave the oddly familiar stench...