18. That Was Love

— • —

— • —

THIRD PERSON'S POV

With a deep frown on her lips, Vee stepped back out onto the patio, finally feeling like she could breathe. Inhaling a big breath, she brought her hands to her cheeks, begging the heat settled there to cool down. Her shoulders dropped as she exhaled, hands gradually lowering back to her side, occupying themselves with the fabric of her dress.

"You okay?" She looked to her right, the panic that had flared up settling down as she locked eyes with her younger brother. His eyebrows were raised at her, clearly catching her trying to calm herself down after the scene that took place inside.

Hesitantly, Vee nodded. "I'm fine." She looked over his shoulder, catching sight of Sophie chatting to their cousins a few feet away. "You can head back to Soph now."

Alex frowned. "Soph is fine, I want to talk you right now." Vee blinked, nodding slowly. "So why'd you bring Isaac today?"

"Why is everybody questioning why he's here? He's literally my soulmate, why wouldn't he be invited?" Vee snapped without thinking, slumping back against the outer wall of her home.

Alex looked taken back, instantly lifting his hands in mock-surrender. "Sorry, didn't realize it was a touchy subject. I just meant you waited so long to introduce him to Mom to the point where she went to try to meet him herself, I figured you would have waited to introduce him to the entire extended family."

It was a valid assumption to make, and Vee realized that now, the guilt instantly knawing at her as she regretted snapping at her little brother. Her fingers curled around the fabric of her brother's shirt, tugging him close until she could wrap him in a hug. "Sorry," she muttered. "Long day."

"The party just started?" Vee didn't respond to this, staying wrapped up in her younger brother's embrace in seek of comfort. Her eyes eventually fluttered closed, allowing her to temporarily slip away from reality as she was surrounded by darkness. Alex glanced down at her with concern, his grip tightening ever so slightly around her. His eyes traveled around the yard, desperately searching for someone to explain to him what had happened to her. His eyes locked with his mother's, who had her arms wrapped around herself, her gaze settled on them with an unrecognizable emotion in her eyes.

Then Selena appeared beside her once again, rubbing gently on her back as she offered a cup of water, which she took gratefully. Then Selena turned to him, her gaze softening significantly at the sight of Alex with his arms around Venus. She looked as if she was going to join them, but was pulled back by Ana, who gently shook her head at whatever Selena said to her. Defeated, Selena settled back, just in time for Robert to join them with an unsuspecting grin.

"Alex?" He looked away from his sister and mother to see Isaac, his eyebrows knitted together in confusion. "Is everything alright?"

Vee seemed to snap out of her imaginary world at the sound of his voice, eyes shooting up as she straightened up. "I'm fine," she rushed out, an obviously forced smile spreading across her lips.