06. Mommy Issues

— • —

— • —

         I hated Selena.

That was my immediate thought when I stepped into her apartment, only to see my entire family sitting in the living room, after Selena promised it'd be a night in with us two girls. All eyes turned to me when the elevator ringed, and I let out a heavy breathe as I realized the lie my sister had told me. My mom and dad sat beside each other, my dad's warm smile welcoming me, while my mom's shrinking smile did anything but. On the opposite couch was Alex, a pretty girl under his arm, who I could only assume was the girl who's numbers matched his. Finally, my eyes landed on Selena, who was smiling sheepishly, being the only one standing.

"What's going on?" I asked, slowly making my way over to my family. I didn't make it the whole way before Selena was grabbing my arm, pulling me out of the room and into her bedroom.

         "You were supposed to get here before them!" She whispered harshly, her previously calm expression being replaced with a look of panic. "I've been stalling for fifteen minutes."

"Not all of us married a rich man, some of us have jobs," I retorted, my words dripping with sarcasm. Selena instantly glared at me, but really, what did she expect? "Besides, you told me we were having a night in. What the hell is going on?" I waited a moment for her response, instead, Selena diverted her gaze. Following her eyes, my eyes were lead to her stomach, where both her hands rested. "No."

"Venus, please," she pleaded, hands shooting out to grab my own when I made an effort to walk away. "Rob and I decided today was better than waiting till Mom's birthday, but he got called into work last minute. I just need the emotional support."

"Why?" Selena flinched at the tone of my voice, having unintentionally raised it. "Selena, you're the favorite. You have been since I was sixteen when Mom disowned me as her daughter, you have literally nothing to worry about. They'll support you no matter what, you could kill a person and they'd find a way to make it seem like the right thing to do, so tell me, why do you really want me here?" Selena stepped back when I let out a heavy breathe, my hand moving to run through my hair. "I-I just need a reason."

Slowly, my sister stepped forward, hesitantly wrapping her arms around me. I wasn't aware of my tense shoulders until they relaxed, a result of Selena gently rubbing my back. "What's got you so stressed?"

I hate how well she knows me. Because I was beyond stressed, and up until now, I thought I'd been doing a good job at hiding it. Apparently nothing gets past Selena, though. "Just... some friend stuff." That was downscaling it, by a lot.

It's been almost a week since Isaac asked me out, and since then, we've gone out twice. These numbers might actually not be complete bullshit, because I enjoyed myself a lot the two times we went out. He was sweet, and easy to talk to for the most part, despite being extremely reserved. Can't forget how good looking the boy is as well. I mean I had a lot of work to do, mostly pertaining to his confidence, but Isaac is the kind of boyfriend I wouldn't mind spending my time with. Did I mention I'm his girlfriend now? Because that happened. Right at the end of our second date, I was beyond tired of waiting for him to kiss me, so I did it myself. I kissed the hell out of him, then asked him to be my boyfriend. It was weird to stray away from stereotypes, but I could tell Isaac appreciated it, the widest smile I've ever seen spreading across his lips