Chapter 7

A month passes. Loki has been drove up the wall by bedrest. He doesn't want to be in bed any long, but understands that it's what's best for the babe.

One night, Loki stirs, waking me in the process "Loki, what's wrong?" I ask in a groggy voice, not turning to him.

"The sheets are hot." he sighs and I hum, not really paying attention "Thor, the sheets are really hot!"

With a yawn, I sit up in bed and ask "What do you mean, hot? Like, body temperature hot, or boiling water hot?"

"I don't know." he replies, before sitting up and instantly leaning into me "Sat up too fast. Little dizzy."

I frown in confusion. I know Jotun are disoriented by heat, but this is just weird. In instinct, I feel the sheets around me to feel they're fine, but when I feel the sheets around Loki, they're burning up... and wet.

Silently, I turn to my candle and light it, before holding it closer to my hand to reveal the blood on my hand "Loki, the blood!" I roar in alarm.

With a whimper, he throws the blanket off of him to reveal a puddle of blood. A bloodcurdling scream escapes him lips.

"Guards!" I scream "Guards!" I scream louder. The ones that are stationed outside barge in as Loki starts crying so hard that no sound escapes his lips "Retrieve the healers! Now!"

They disappear and I pull Loki towards me as he screams out in agony. A sob escapes my lips as I look over the drying pool. I already know what has happened, but I don't want to except it.

I stare at it in shock as Loki grips onto me desperately, letting out pleading cries to the norns to bring our babe back.

Through my utter disbelief, I start to rock Loki, and try to calm him. Despite the fact that we're both covered in blood, as are our clothes, I couldn't care less.

Finally, it dawns on me and I grips him to me and whisper "It's going to be alright. We'll get through this. It'll be okay."

I hear running in the hallway and I look up to find our friends, Frigga, Odin, and Laufey, stand in the door.

When I shake my head, telling them our babe is gone, their faces go dark. Something inside me breaks, in this exact moment. As if all the joy escapes the world.

~

I sit next to Loki healing bed as he stares up at the ceiling "What have we done?" He looks to me and shakes his head "The universe hates us."

"Why would it hate us?" I ask, leaning against the side of the best "We've done nothing wrong."

"I got pregnant, before the wedding." he states and I sigh "I lost my purity, before I was supposed to."

"Loki, that's got nothing to do with this." I insist, before shrugging "There's no way of knowing what really happened!"

"We caused it." he insists as our friends step into the room "If we would have waited on more day, our babe would be alive!"

"The universe doesn't give a shit!" I insist, taking his hand in mine "Loki! They only say that, a royalty prize! Besides, it was mine, anyway!"

"What is happening?" Hogan asks, stepping forward to take Loki's other hand.

"Sif, tell Loki about when you lost your virginity." I beg and she gives a confused look "He thinks the universe took the babe, because he wasn't a virgin at marriage."

"Loki!" Sif sighs, before leaning against the bed "Purity isn't anything! I lost mine centuries ago! Nothings happened to me!"

"Most royalty loose their virginity long before marriage." Fandral states, holding onto Loki's ankle from the foot of the bed.

"Vaniheim's queen wasn't." Hogan states as he leans across from Sif "She gave birth to three children."

Loki nods as his lip starts to quiver. He pulls his hands to his face to hide as he cries. Volstagg gives a weak smile "Do you want us to retrieve anything from your chamber?"

Loki nods, before wiping his eyes "Can you get the blanket? The fur one?" Volstagg nods and Loki's lips quiver "Thank you."

When they leave, Loki looks to me and I smile, weakly "Do you need anything?" he nods and I ask "What do you need?"

He takes in a shakey breath, before asking "Can you just..." he wipes his face "Please?" he sniffle, before moving over and lifting the blanket.

Silently, I crawl in next to him. For a few minutes, he cries on my shoulder. By the time they get back with the blanket, Loki is fast asleep.

~

Days pass like centuries. When you walk into our chamber, you expect to see Loki in bed, staring blankly into space.

At first, I stayed with him. But after a week of pleading for him to speak, or even move, or eat, I gave up.

This day, I rest my head on a table at the tavern. Volstagg knows better than to refuse me drinks.

"Thor!" Sif asks and I hum in my drunkenness "I can't find Loki." Instantly, I'm sobered up and she sighs "I've looked all over the castle."

Fandral and Hogan run into the tavern "He's nowhere to be found in the kingdom! We've checked." Fandral announces, trying to catch his breath.

In a fraction of a second, I'm on my feet "There's only one person who can find him." I state, before summoning Mjolnir "We're going to need some horses."

~

As we near the end of the bifrost, Heimdall greets us "My apologizes, for your babe, my prince."

I grunt in response, before asking "Where's Loki?" he steps back towards his post as I sigh "We can't find him."

"And you won't." Heimdall states and I give a puzzled look "Loki is not on Asgard! I should know, because he used the bifrost early this morning!"

I didn't go to our chamber last night. I passed out in the tavern.

"Very well." I sigh, stepping towards the portal "Take me to Jotunheim. I need to speak with him."

"He's not on Jotunheim." Heimdall states and I turn back to him "He's on Midgard. Currently, he sits next to a lake."

"Then take me to Midgard." I insist, before looking to the four "We shall return soon enough."

The bifrost moves and the portal starts to open.