Chapter One

Claire's P.O.V.

Tuesday morning, September 2, 2014. The first day of senior year at high school. School starts promptly at seven o'clock a.m. Personally, I find it stupid that school should start so early when it is scientifically proven that a teenager's brain is not even fully functional until half past ten in the morning.

My alarm woke me up at six in the morning. I crawled out of bed and into a warm shower. I did my morning routine of showering, brushing my hair and teeth, getting dressed in a long sleeved black shirt, black skinny jeans, and dark red VANS. Afterwards, I put on my make-up and walked down stairs to see my mom sitting at the kitchen's island counter, drinking coffee.

"I don't mean to nag," she started, "but don't you think you could lose the goth look for at least the first day of school?"

I answered her question with a blank stare. If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm goth.

"I'll take that as a no." My mother shook her head and returned to drinking her coffee.

I grabbed my coffee thermos, filled it with coffee, and went out the door. I walked to my black, 1971 Dodge Challenger and got in. My parents got the car for my eighteenth birthday in hopes to get me to talk. Sometimes I feel bad for not speaking to them, but then I remembered that they never listened to me even when I did talk. On my way to school, I passed a car crash and saw the driver's ghost. He was on the peidifile watch list. I think his name was Roy Cramer. He saw me looking at him and he vanished. I breathed out a sigh of relief and kept driving.

Suddenly, I felt a hand slide up my thigh. I snapped my head to the right and saw Roy sitting in my passenger seat, smirking at me. I glared at him and concentrated on him leaving. I doubted that it would work but it was all I could do.

To my complete surprise, it worked. He vanished as though he were never there. Well, that was interesting. I looked in the rearview mirror and noticed that my eyes had changed. Instead of the mat-grey color they usually were, they were now pale grey with flecks of purple in them.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Vote. Comment.