CHAPTER 6

Brokenheartd

She went and joined Nicholas and Aunt Rose for lunch, after she regained her composure.

She was glad she overheard what Nicholas had to say, as now she was warned. There would be no danger of her becoming over - friendly towards him, Jonnet would of course would have liked to leave the Creek at once, but as that was impossible she must adopt an attitude towards Nicholas similar to that which he adopted towards her.

As for Aunt Rose - much as she explored her methods and scheming, Jonnet admmited her intentions were good, and therefore decided she must never know the unhappiness she had brought her niece by insisting she accompany her to Australia.

Jonnet also decided that the simplest way to put her aunt at complete ease was for her, Jonnet, to say now that she has met Nicholas again all she had ever felt for him, was all gone.

"Your aunt is resting," Nicholas informed Jonnet immediately on her entering the dining room. Where a most appetizing lunch was served.
"I've sent her up some sandwiches and tea." Cool and faintly clipped.

Nicholas politely pulled out a chair for Jonnet, who thanked him stiffly but with a smile.

"The long journey was a little trying for her. She'll be all right when she's had a sleep."

Nicholas wasn't listening. Beside his place he had some papers and it was on these that his attention rested.

Jonnet was served with soup, but as delicious as it was, she had no appetite.

"Is something wrong?" He was all concern for his guest on noticing her put down her spoon and lean back in the chair.

Jonnet shook her head.

"No, it's very tasty. I just don't feel hungry, that's all."

She felt awkward and an intruder, aware as she was of course the unwelcomed guest in his house.

"Would you care for something different? Grapes - fruits? Cocktail?

Again she shook her head

"No, thank you, Nicholas, I'll have some steak if i may, and perhaps a few vegetables. " her voice lacked confidence; she had no stomach for anything at all but felt he would insist that she had something.

"How long are you and Aunt thinking of staying ?" He inquired politely after ten minutes or so as a casual conversation.

"I've no idea how long Auntie wants to stay." Across the table she looked at him .. severe features, firm mouth and jaw. A product of hard outdoor life, she thought. A man of perfect health and fitness.

"I - We don't want to inconvenience you, Nicholas, so you must tell us when the time comes thst we're overstaying our welcome."

"We usually allow our visitors to decide for themselves how long they'll stay."

"We?" The one small word was out before Jonnet gave herself time to check it. She was ofcourse thinking about his fiancèe - although why she could not have explained. His fiancèe could not possibly be included in the 'we' , simply because she was not living here. Right? ...

"Generally speaking so. Visitors are welcome on these stations; they come all the time - tourists wanting a nights accommodation, a rest from driving or camping out. Others come because they are interested in the way we live, others because they moving from one part of the country to another."