Daryl and Lenora exited his truck and met with the others who were gathered around the front of the RV. Lenora didn't know much about vehicles, but she could guess that smoke bellowing from the engine wasn't a good sign. 

"I see something up ahead." Shane said looking through a pair of binoculars. "A gas station if we're lucky."

"Y'all, Jim," Jacqui exclaimed exiting the RV. "It's bad, I don't think he can take anymore."

"Hey Rick, you want to hold down the fort?" Shane asked after Jacqui ran back inside of the the vehicle to be with Jim once more. "I'll drive ahead, see what I can bring back."

"Yeah I''ll come along too and I'll back you up." T-dog said volunteering himself to help Shane. 

Lenora watched as the two men entered Shane's jeep and travelled down the road to the nearby gas station. Meanwhile she found herself sitting on top of an abandoned car watching as Carl was talking to his mom. 

Eventually the woman left her son alone as Shane and T-dog returned, and Rick came out of the RV. She told him to stay put, because by the look on the man's face, it wasn't any good news. 

Lenora caught Carl staring at her, and when he noticed that she had seen him, he gave her a bright smile. To which she returned awkwardly. The two were snapped out of their gazes as they heard Jim groaning and panting as he was brought out of the RV and set against a tree nearby. 

One by one, the group said their final goodbyes to the man. He wanted to be with his family, Lenora could respect that. She followed them as they stood in a line. When no one else remained, and Lenora was the only one left standing near the man he called out her name. 

"Lee, you take care of Dixon alright?" Jim said and with another awkward smile she left the man who was ready to die before climbing once more into Daryl's truck.

___

 When they arrived at the CDC the girls gut feeling from earlier was wrong. Walkers completely surrounded the building and Daryl gave her a look of uncertainty masked with reassurance. 

When it was decided that they would in fact be attempting to get into the building, Daryl handed her a knife. 

"I don't know if you'll need to use this." He murmured. "Be careful."

Lenora nodded, taking the knife out the man's hand and pointing it towards the outside world. The sun was beginning to set as they exited the car. The stench of the dead was unbearable and Lenora swatted at the flies surrounding her head. Daryl kept a watchful eye on the girl the entire time, making sure she was never out of his sight and an arms length away at all times. 

When they reached the door, it was reviewed that they were locked up shut. There was no way to get inside. Shane and Rick attempted to lift the shutters but to no avail. 

"There's nobody here." T-dog told him, stating the obvious.

"Then why are these shutters down?" Rick questioned.

 "Walkers!" Daryl yelled pushing Lenora behind him protectively. She clutched the knife so tightly her knuckled turned white and her knees felt like Jelly. The redneck killed one of the approaching walkers before turning to Rick angrily. "You led us into a graveyard!" 

"He made a call!" Lenora couldn't tell who disagreed with Daryl but she knew it would only anger the man further. 

"It was the wrong damn call!" He snapped.

"Just shut up, you hear me?" Shane said approaching the man. "Shut up. Shut up! Rick this is a dead end."

"Where are we gonna go?" Carol cried out clutching her daughter close to her.

Lenora felt trapped, like her death was inevitable. The group began to discuss where to go from here. They were running out of time as the sun set further and further below the horizon. 

She jumped as a gun cocked from behind her. Next thing she knew, Lenora was moving back towards the vehicles under Daryl's guidance. Suddenly, Rick called back. 

"The camera! It moved!" He stated.

He was delusional he had to be. Who could be so heartless as to leave the group out here. Rick pounded on the door and Lenora felt herself get closer to Daryl, clutching onto the man's shirt. The first physical contact she had initiated in days. 

"You're killing us!" Rick cried out towards the camera as Shane pulled him back. 

Suddenly, with a light that seemed so blinding, the shutter door came open and it seemed as if they had been saved. 

____

Word Count: 1411

Hope you've enjoyed so far! Comments and likes are appreciated!!