Chapter 3: Ain't it fun living in the real world

I walked onto campus, my arm linked with Adi's and I felt good.

I'd decided last night that I was done being the good girl. Always following the rules. Adi was right, I did do everything right. And I had realized I could have it all. Becoming cheer captain was easy, I won a seat on the school council by a landslide, I had nearly all A's and with Agnes' help I would have all A's. I could have it all, just like the boys.

I was going to have my cake and eat it too.

"You look... different," Samantha said as she joined us.

I smiled and opened my locker.

"She's happy," Adi said.

"Hmmm, why? Did you finally get laid?" Samantha asked wide eyed.

"Ha. Ha," I said with a roll of my eyes.

"Why are you so happy?" Adi asked again. She had asked me that the entire way to school.

I looked over to the two. "I just feel... good. You know?" I shrugged.

Adi and Samantha eyed each other.

I just grinned and turned on my heel bumping into someone. "Sorry!" I took a step back and looked at who I had bumped into. It was Genevieve.

"I'm so sorry," Genevieve said in a low voice with her eyes wide.

I looked at her for a moment and then I smiled. "It's okay." I walked past her and onto my first period.

"Are you on something?" Samantha asked as she caught up with me.

"You smiled at her," Adi said as she walked on the other side of me.

"Yep. I've decided to move on from the past," I said with a shrug. Plus, I'd had sex with Mitch and he wasn't all that great. I had put his needs before mine, no more of that.

"Seriously?" Samantha asked as we walked the crowded hallway, people getting out of our way.

"Yes." I smiled. Why were we girls always fighting and the boys get all the fun? I was done with all that nonsense.

Samantha narrowed her eyes and looked at me. "Are you high?" Samantha searched my face, as if some sign was on my face saying I was in fact high.

I just laughed. "I'm high off life." We rounded a corner and I swear everything was brighter and happier.

"So, you are high," Samantha responded with a nod.

I laughed. "Is there a party tonight?" We stopped at Adi's locker.

"You are high!" Adi said as she opened her locker.

I rolled my eyes but smiled. "I'm feeling in a party mood." I shrugged and looked at Adi's locker and saw all the pictures of us. A friendly reminder that I could have fun. That I was fun.

"Yaaaasss finally!" Samantha said as she clapped excitedly.

Adi narrowed her eyes and watched me for a moment. "You only party after finals." Adi looked very confused.

I just shrugged. "Like I said, I'm moving on from the past." I smiled for emphasis. And it was a genuine smile. I was feeling great.

__________*__________

It was lunch time and Agnes and I were in the library. We were one of few in here. Being in there was new to me.

"It's okay if you weren't able to convince my brother, at least you tried," Agnes said after I told her about what had happened yesterday.