Story 2 - Walking Between Belief and Blindness

There was this gentleman who had a thing for walking

There was this gentleman who had a thing for walking. He would walk every day, day after day, for several kilometers.

Every evening, the gentleman would set off from his home soon after finishing his cup of tea. He would then traverse the great distances from his home to the town center that was many kilometers away.

The gentleman always came back home with something new. There would be the stranger that he made friends with. Then there was the corner shop that we all managed to miss in our busy lives. Sometimes, there would be the adventure or two in the form of a pick pocket or a run-away vegetable. But what never happened to the gentleman was a fall.

Our gentleman never fell to the ground during any one of his walks. There was not one single trip over a stone or the slightest of dashes from a racing cyclist. In all the several years that he had ventured on his walk, the gentleman just did not hit the ground, not even once.

"I believe that I will never fall," said the gentleman very proudly, when someone wondered about his high success rate in keeping his body off the ground. "I don't fall because I simply believe that I will never fall." The gentleman was very determined in his belief indeed.

Then one day, it happened! The gentleman did fall to the ground!

The gentleman remembered the day very well because it was also the day when he did not have his cup of tea. The cook was unwell that day and quite obviously, the gentleman blamed his fall on his missed cup of tea, and thereby, although indirectly, the cook. Needless to say, the gentleman not only had to find a nurse for his wound, he also had to lookout for a new cook.

But I am diverging from the original incident.

The fall happened when the gentleman was coming out of a shop. He did not notice the small smooth stone right below the last step, and woosh! The slip came first, the fall,later.

"What happened to the belief that you would never fall?" wondered the same someone who had wondered earlier.

Turned out, his belief had vanished along with his fall. Alas, now, whenever the gentleman leaves his home, he also leaves it with the fear of falling to the ground.

Dear Reader,

There is a very thin line between belief and blindness.

It is one thing to believe that no harm can come to you. But it is extremely foolish to ignore your growing paunch in your belief. This is when blindness overpowers belief, just like how our "blind" gentleman did not notice the stone in his path.

Whether it is belief in a relationship, belief in the idea that only good things can happen to you, or belief in the idea of a savior, our belief should also never becoming our limiting codes. When the belief gets shaken, it is fear that immediately replaces the confidence that had so far, been so tight.

For fall we must. That is the way of life, a way that Nature has always been symbolizing through this thing called Death. Nothing lasts forever, and that is the absolute truth.

That is why it makes sense to instill the ability to get back up, rather than code ourselves into not falling down.

Here's to developing the ability to overcome!