Chapter 34: New Years

Começar do início

We made our way to the car, Mark held the passenger door open for me which I offered a wide smile for. He just chuckled and shut the door once then he got in on his side.

The car ride there was mostly quiet, little conversation. We were now about ten minutes away and I was bored to death. Why isn't he talking? I glanced over to Mark, his mouth was closed and he looked to be in a deep thought.

"Hey Mark." I quietly spoke, trying to get his attention. He still didn't turn to look at me. Did I do something? Is he mad? 

"Mark?" I questioned a little louder. No answer. He just kept his gaze on the road. Slowly, I reached out for his hand that was resting on the shift. 

My thumb ran over the back of his hand. He gave a light squeezed to my. "Mark." I said again. This time he looked over at me, his blue eyes had a surprised look to them. I don't know why?

"L-Lissa?" He stumbled, looking back at the road. "Are you okay?" I asked. "Yes, why?" Mark looked back at me confused. 

"Well, you ignored me when I tried to get your attention a minute ago and when I touched your hand you seemed kinda jumpy." I explained. He really didn't notice me trying to get his attention early.

"Oh, yeah. Stuff is on my mind, that's all." Mark sighed. I watched him closely, his blond hair started to fall in his face. He moved it out of the way, annoyed. "Well, what are you thinking of?" Finally, I spoke after another silence.

He looked over at me reluctantly. "Do you ever get that feeling that something is going to happen, Liz?" We came to a red light, his gaze fell on me as he shifted the gears and hit the breaks to stop. "When you feel like something is gonna happen that day and you can't quite figure out if that means that what is going to happen is good or bad so you feel somewhat paranoid, if that, than yeah." I responded.

"Yeah, exactly like that-" He ran a hand through his hair. "-I don't know if it's because my mother is back home and I have this feeling because she is prone to arguing with anything and anyone or what but I just feel like something is about to happen."

Mark started to drive again. It took me a second to think of the words to say. "What do you think might happen?"

"I feel like something might happen with you." Mark's voice seemed worried but he didn't look at me. 

"Why?" Why does he worry about me so much, there are others things that would be a much better occupation with his mind? "Why? Why because I just feel like something is going to happen to you and I worry it wont be good. I'm leaving in a day and I will worry about you the whole time I am gone, I worry every time I'm gone and now it feels like something might happen to you when I'm here by your side. It's a strange feeling." We pulled into his fathers driveway at the end of his speech.

"But why do you worry about me so much?" I ask a question that I've asked a billion times before. "I don't know, Lissa?" He pulled the car key out of the ignition then shifted in his seat to face me.

"Maybe it's the fact that I'm a male and it's a natural feeling to worry about a female companion or maybe it's just that alot has happened to you in the past week or two and I don't want more stuff to happen to you." Mark had a soft expression on his face. His hand reached out to brush a strand of hair away from my eyes.

I nodded, not wanting to argue. We got out of the car. Mark came over to me and wrapped his arms around my waist. I leaned into him as we walked to the door.

"I don't know when the last time I've seen your mother." I laughed when we got to the door. Mark chuckled, giving me a kiss on the top of my head. "I don't know when the last time I have seen her either, she travels so much. I feel bad, my father basically had to raise five kids by himself because of mother's business."