Chapter 23

Quinn took off running, leaving them all stood on the doorstep staring after her lamely. Luke tried to call after her, but the empty just put a hand on each of their shoulders and Luke felt his entire body freeze up.

"Off the streets," she said in an undertone, although that might just have been her voice. "We're not going to make a mess."

She let go of them and Luke felt himself walk back into the front room. He physically couldn't stop himself from walking. He silently cursed Quinn for running off on them and decided that if he actually survived, he was going to kill her himself.

He noticed Adam staring at her blankly, as if he was trying to remember something. He threw him a nervous glance, but he didn't seem to notice.

Feeling his legs turn brittle, Luke collapsed into a heap on the floor as she blocked the door between them, just in case. "Sit there for now, Michaels, this doesn't have to be painful," she said quietly. "You never caused us any trouble."

She turned to Adam, who was still standing, though his legs were shaking dangerously. "Oh... Now this is fascinating," she muttered, smiling slightly. "It's amazing what a difference fear makes... I barely recognised you."

His eyes widened in realisation. "Oh my god, Jessica?"

"You look so scared," she said. "God... I'd be so embarrassed."

She made a sudden jerking motion with her hand and he fell backwards, his head cracking against the wall.

"You know, I almost prefer you like this. You're much easier to keep quiet," she told him. He didn't respond- he'd been knocked out. "Unfortunately, I'm obligated to help you."

Luke struggled to his feet, legs shaking, and reached for the tranquiliser from his shelf. Trying not to make a sound, he aimed it at the exposed skin on the back of her neck and pulled the trigger. She turned around, eyes wide, feeling for where the dart had hit her. He let his legs crumple beneath him, waiting for her to fall back.

Her hands found the dart. She pulled it out and examined it deliberately before tossing it away.

"I'm sorry, was that supposed to do something?"

"Wait, don't -"

She cut him off, making a vague gesture with her hand. He felt his hands close around his neck, squeezing it tighter and tighter until he could barely breathe. He doubled over, gasping for any air he could get as the room started to sway, and tried to focus on Adam, who was still lying in a heap against the wall.

Somewhere above him, he heard the sound of a body hitting the floor and his hands loosened. He straightened up, still gasping for air.

"You've got to aim for the veins," Quinn told him, wiping her forehead. "I can't believe you forgot that."

He stumbled to his feet, leaning on the desk to steady himself. "I thought..."

"Give me a break, I'm an asshole, I'm not a coward. Anyway, now we're even." She dropped the tranquiliser and took some rope out of her pocket, wiping her brow again, evidently very out of breath. "Six years of track meet, by the way. Three kilometres in ten minutes, no need to thank me or anything." Catching her breath, she looked over at him. "I got some stuff to tie it up with. I thought you'd be able to knock it out on your own. Guess I overestimated you." She tossed him a length of rope. "You tie up that one, I'll tie up this one?"

"I don't need to be tied up," Adam spoke up, struggling to his feet. "I've had... I've had more of my fair share of being tied to things."

"He trusted you, and you - you brought this thing right to his doorstep..."