[9] Dangerous Liaisons

When I got notified by Elena that Alaric was in the hospital, I left the Mikaelson mansion in a sprint. I had taken my heels off and ran barefoot through the woods. Even with sticks cutting my feet every so often, I didn't stop, nor did I slow down.

When I arrived, I quickly ran to where Elena told me she would be. When she saw me, she looked relieved and then concerned. I looked down to where her eyes were and saw all the blood. I didn't care though.

"Emma, why are your feet all bloody?" Elena questioned. "I ran here." is all I said. I gave her a look to let go, she reluctantly agreed, before we walked over to where Alaric's room was. "What happened?" I asked.

"Matt and I came home to find him stabbed, he was laying on the floor, still alive, but barely. And we didn't know if the ambulance would get there in time, so I-" her voice cracked. I looked at her, confused. "You did what, Elena?" I questioned.

"I-I killed him. I'm the doppelgänger, which means I'm supernatural so Ric could come back." she stuttered. I pulled her into a hug, she obviously had a tough decision to make when doing that. But, she saved Alaric's life.

We then walked over to where Matt was standing. "How's Mr. Saltzman?" Matt looked between us. "Resigned to spending the night in observation, so long as I promise to change the lock on the house." Elena flung her bag over her shoulder before walking away with Matt. I followed.

"So I talked with Bonnie earlier. She and her mom are fine." Elena spoke. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. "What happened to Bonnie?" my voice was laced with concern. "Bonnie and her mom went unconscious when they opened the coffin. It was really weird." she told me.

"Have you talked to Caroline?" Elena asked me. Again, I had no idea what was going on because I was at the stupid dinner party. "What happened to Caroline?" I pondered, confused. Elena and Matt exchanged nervous glances before turning to me.

"Caroline's dad was attacked by the same killer going around that attack Ric. But, Mr. Forbes had vampire blood in his system, so he went into transition. But, he didn't want to complete it. So Caroline had to watch as her father died." Elena sighed.

"Oh my god. Is she ok?" a tear slipped down my cheek for my friend. "She's holding it together, considering how close she and her dad used to be." Matt said. "Any word on who was behind all these attacks?" Matt questioned. 

"No. Sheriff Forbes said that there's no real suspects at all." Elena replied. We walked past a door, and I thought I saw something move out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but saw nothing, so I shrugged it off. 

We walked out of the hospital. "How are you dealing with everything? I mean, you keep getting dragged into all this." Elena looked at Matt. "Honestly, I'm kind of lucky. The only thing that I have to worry about for tomorrow is showing up for my shift at the grill." Matt responded.

"Thank you for everything today. Really." Elena nodded. I also looking at Matt gratefully, before putting my arm around Elena. "Get home safe." Matt smiled, before turning to leave. "Thanks." Elena said, before we turned around.

We got to our car, and I started opening the passenger door, letting go of Elena while she tries to find her keys in her bag. I hop in and so does she, shutting both the doors as I see Matt start to pull out. We buckled both of our seatbelts as Elena and I both waved to Matt.

Elena put the keys in the ignition, before starting the car, the engine roaring to life. As we started to pull out, we came to an abrupt stop as Elena hit something. We both gasped, surprised. "What?" Elena, said confused, before getting out of the car and looking for what we hit. I followed, but there was nothing there.