†Chapter Twenty†

Axel, Victor, and I were each placed in separate cells next to each other; crudely small cages built for animals, eight feed wide, ten feet deep, and the ceiling was only five feet high. Rage had forced me into my wolf form, and I paced back and forth, growling quietly, head low, ears flat. The Kind hadn't changed. He was still insane, and Naomi was dead because of it. 

"Luna?" Axel said softly after hours of silence. 

I stopped growling, but still paced back, my claws clicking on the stone floor.

"We're going to get out of this. The Prince said he would help us escape. We can flee north like I said; we can bring the others too. We can run far away from this place, away from the death, and be safe." His voice was sad, almost mournful as he spoke. He saw the rage in my eyes; he could hear my rage now. I think he knew.

I paused for a few moments next to the wall that separated Axel and me, pressing my head against it. I wanted him to hold me in that moment. I wanted more than just a sliver of a lifetime with him. 

"You'll come with me, right?" he asked in a quiet tone just above a whisper. There were tears in his voice as he reached his hand through the bars, holding it out for me. "You promised." 

I wanted that more than anything. But what about the other wolves stuck out here? Who would protect them? Who would stop the King, who now most likely had a refreshed fear and drive to ensure our eradication? 

Shifting back to my human form, I put my hand through the bars, gripping Axel's hand as tightly as I could, my heads still pressed against the wall, wishing I could feel his arms around me. I used to dream of the day I would meet my mate, the life we would live. I used to imagine what my children would look like, the names I would choose, the stories I would tell them after I tucked them into bed. I longed for the day, and I never would have imagined it would end up like this. Jailed by a mad king, my parents and sisters dead, my mate locked in the cell beside me. Those daydreams suddenly felt like that just that--dreams

"Please say something," he said as he squeezed my hand. 

"I don't want to spend the rest of our lives running," I replied gently. "What if we lose the others too?" 

"We won't." His voice was slightly firmer now. 

"You can't guarantee that, Axel." I sighed, squeezing his hand. "I couldn't even guarantee..." My throat closed up as tears choked me, remembering Naomi. I wished I had known her better. She didn't deserve to die. 

Both of us fell silent after that. We had failed, and we all knew. Our only choice now was to run as far as we could, away from the insane ruler, and hope we would be safe after that. But I didn't want to run anymore. 

"I know," he whispered, "but I can't lose you."