†Chapter One† (Edited)

I scanned the bar's crowd from my position in the corner, picking at the rim of my cup with my fingernail. A few drunken patrons eyed me, the potent stench of lust and alcohol assaulting my senses. I wanted to leave this horrible, disgusting place, but I needed to stay here. I had to locate the man who I was told could give me information, who was supposed to meet me here tonight. I had received a letter at the local inn I found refuge in telling me there was someone who could give me critical information. The letter had instructed me to wait for a young man at the back table in the local bar named Hunter's Tavern. However, the only men here were old, fat, filthy, and obscenely intoxicated. I sighed, beginning to feel irritated. I had been waiting here for almost an hour and if he didn't appear soon, I would have to give up and find a new way to get the information I craved. 

It had been a year since the slaughter and the only information I had gathered was that wolves were being killed everywhere; their hides were being sold at local markets, their teeth were made into necklaces that hung around the necks of children too young to understand how wrong it was; heads of wolves were staked outside the entrances of every town, and merchants offered bounties for fresh wolf skins and heads. Every street I followed left me wracked with pain, repulsion, and more questions. Wolves were being hunted by the thousands, but I still didn't know why.

"Excuse me, miss," a voice asked from my right, pulling me out of my thoughts. I looked up to meet the gentle green eyes of a young man who appeared to be in his late twenties, smelling of cedar trees and not at all of the filth associated with every other male here. In fact, he was well-groomed and had an air of power to him. With his dark blond hair, strong jaw shaded in by faint stubble, and sturdy build, he was devastatingly attractive. He offered me a smile that could make any girl melt. "By powers of deduction, I'm going to assume you are the one I was supposed to meet here tonight."

"I'm going to assume the same," I replied, trying to remain solid. "Please, have a seat."

He nodded, taking the seat across from me. He glanced around the bar, visibly taking in his surroundings and marking the exits like I had when I first entered. Some relief came to me knowing that he and I functioned in the same way, but it triggered my curiosity. What did he have to be paranoid about? "Allow me to introduce myself; my name is Axel," he said, turning back to me and holding out his hand. "Might I ask for your name?"

I just stared at his hand, worn down from heavy work. I assumed he was a blacksmith, or something of the nature. Something was different about him that was really starting to draw my interest. "Blackbird," I replied, not shaking his hand. While he intrigued me, I needed to keep a safe distance; I couldn't take any chances.

He frowned for a moment, pulling his hand away. "Strange name," he remarked, his charming smile gently tugging at the corners of his mouth once more.

"It's a nickname," I replied. I glanced around us, noticing that more eyes were beginning to turn to where we sat. I caught bits of drunken slurs of curiosity passing between the patrons, which seemed strange. Wherever I had gone, I had never drawn this much attention to myself and it was starting to make me nervous. "Is there somewhere we can talk in private?"

"Of course. Follow me." Without missing a beat, he stood from his seat, offering me his arm. I eyed it for a moment, preparing to deny it. "It will make them less suspicious," he whispered, winking at me. 

I gritted my teeth, hating the idea of touching a human, but knowing that I had to eradicate as much suspicion as possible. I stood from my seat and slipped my arm through his, feeling my cheeks heat up when his warmth seeped into my skin. His scent was even stronger now that I was this close, making the smaller scents become detectable. I could smell the forest on him; the sweet wildflowers, the bitter ferns, and the comforting pine needles among the cedar trees. It reminded me of home, bringing my a warm sense of comfort and security that I hadn't felt in a year. I wanted to close my eyes and drown in the nostalgia, but I knew I had to keep my guard up. After all, I had no idea who this man was or what he planned to do once we were alone. He could be a hunter, deceiving me to lure me into my death. I couldn't be too careful.